Visionworks

...It was a job

Former Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Eyewear Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Visionworks

Pros

Lots of new experiences; different personalities mean that although you'll repeat the same process, you'll never repeat the same DAY, if that makes any sense. Consulting with many different kinds of people, diverse products that allow you to meet needs and wants at the same time, and quite easily. Good commissions.

Cons

NEVER get a weekend off. I repeat, you NEVER get a weekend off. In your interview however, they will say that you will get every other weekend off. It's almost impossible to get a day off, only to get to work on the day you requested to find that a coworker called in 5 minutes before their shift. Favoritism; suck-ups get promoted whether they're equipped for the job or not, and if they favor you over another employee, they will let bothersome employees leave early and require you to stay late. Five minutes before the end of EVERY shift, you will hear this infamous question: "Do you think you can stay a little late?" If you say "No", you will be mistreated for days thereafter for opting to work your scheduled hours instead of working someone else's. Sales quotas aren't necessarily hard to meet for a full time employee, however the amount of time they're repeated to you and intimidation tactics create unnecessary stress for employees. Coworkers will let you go through the entire process of consulting with a customer, telling them about upsells and convincing them to get them, and creating trust - and then steal that customer the moment you leave the floor. Zero scheduling flexibility, even if you have a disability of some sort, like a transportation issue or a public transit situation that could impact your safety (ie. needing to clock out before dark to make your commute, or at least to clock out before 11PM :-|) Needs a technology upgrade.

Your experience at Eyemasters depends ENTIRELY on the manager that you have.

I lovingly referred to this job as "The Eyewear Sweatshop"

Don't require more of a good employee in order to accept less from a bad employee. Streamline expectations. Encourage employees rather than intimidate them.

125 Other Employee Reviews for Visionworks (View Most Recent)

Ok

Current Employee - General Manager/Licensed Optician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - General Manager/Licensed Optician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Visionworks

Pros

Company gives great tools and skills that can be taken to any company or any product.

Cons

Company focuses on kpi as reasons for advancement, however best fit person may or may not have best kpis.

A very time consuming rollercoaster of changes and retraining on new initiatives.

Current Employee - General Manager/Licensed Optician in Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - General Manager/Licensed Optician in Gilbert, AZ

I have been working at Visionworks

Pros

The the medical benefits and base pay are are excellent for Licenses.
    I personally have an exceptional TD.
    The company is thriving and growing in a struggling economy.
    Company changes all positive and potentialy

Cons

Not enough hours/Employees given to free up enough time to properly train/coach/manage.
    Too many hours necessary to work to properly manage a store.
    Despite the necessary hours - Not much flexibility regarding the schedule from upper management to take care of unexpected personal life concerns.

I highly respect the management for my territory and I am excited about the direction the company is taking. My only advice would be: look at the number of hours/employees we had a year ago and just give us back half of those so we could actually "run the sales floor", coach and manage. Instead I am almost always with customers and I have to stay late to complete everything required of me.

There are newer employer reviews for Visionworks