Visiting Nurse Association of Cape Cod

www.vnacapecod.org
  www.vnacapecod.org
There are newer employer reviews for Visiting Nurse Association of Cape Cod

A good fit for independent, experienced nurses

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Barnstable, MA
Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Barnstable, MA

I have been working at Visiting Nurse Association of Cape Cod part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility of hours, good money if you don't count the hours completing documentation after doing visits. pleasant work environment (because you're in your own car or patients' homes, not in a facility), often rewarding work that makes a real difference in patients' lives

Cons

Not very much back up available if you need advice out in the field; like most other home care agencies, the people in the office doing QA reviews and triaging phone calls spend FAR too much time delegating paperwork to the field staff, which only adds to the workload of full time staff; not very much "TEAM" action going on. I rarely see the other nurses, I never see any supervisors, and trying to get hold of an in-house supervisor for advice, or to bounce an idea off of anther clinician while you're out in the field, is virtually impossible. You are essentially on your own.

People who are in positions that really SHOULD be supporting the nursing staff believe, and are treated by mgmt as, the real star players in this business. For example, in-house call-center personnel inevitably respond to all calls for advice or help in any given in-home situation with the instruction to "call the doctor . and document that's what you did". I've been a nurse for 30+ years; I KNOW when to call the MD. What I am often looking for is another nurse to run something by, and it's clear that the call center is not interested in that. They're far too busy reviewing OASIS paperwork.

I love my job, and I love my patients, but sometimes, it would be good to have another person to discuss things with .

1 Other Employee Reviews for Visiting Nurse Association of Cape Cod (View Most Recent)

There are newer employer reviews for Visiting Nurse Association of Cape Cod