There are newer employer reviews for Visiting Nurse Service of New York

New focus on the "enterprise" rather than patients & nurses.

Former Employee - Public Health Nurse in New York, NY
Former Employee - Public Health Nurse in New York, NY

I worked at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Home care is a wonderful field where nurses work with people in ways that make a huge difference in their lives. VNSNY has a long & proud history.

Cons

VNSNY has become wildly unrealistic about the time and energy nurses need with patients to provide quality care. Continuity of care has been sacrificed for efficiency leading to ineffective RN home visits.

Advice to Management

Empower the nurses. Really. Why were July 2014 lay-offs (770 RNs, educators, NPs) NOT in the news?

reviews filtered by
  1. Not for me

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, helpful/friendly coworkers

Cons

Little mentorship or discussion of growth/advancement for new employees

I hate it here

Current Employee - Third Party Credit Collection Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Third Party Credit Collection Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Visiting Nurse Service of New York full-time

Pros

Employees are friendly. The printer is reliable. The bathrooms are cleaned well. The office doesn't smell like old cheese.

Cons

Everyone is miserable from the minute they walk into the door to the minute they leave. Cutbacks are obvious when spending a day in the office, even office supplies are hard to come by when you need them. The latest office software on my VNSNY computer is Microsoft Office 2003. We are forced to buy K-Cups for the keurig since they do not provide coffee, but even the keurig machine has stopped working. I doubt they try to replace it. During the summer it is insanely hot within the building, I often sweat uncontrollably. Ridiculous communication barriers exist between different levels of the company, making it wildly difficult to accomplish simple tasks. I have put in numerous simple requests for assistance with my computer, and they have all gone ignored. Company systems are totally outdated, I am forced to rummage through massively disorganized filing cabinets to retrieve patient records. Simple tasks become insanely stressful, time-consuming and frustrating processes. There is no sense of community or teamwork within the office, everyone seems content to just look after themselves. Additionally, managers command such minimal respect from other employees because their ability to get things done in a timely fashion is laughable. The happiest moment of my day is when I leave the building. Make sure you are WELL compensated if you are accepting a position within the VNSNY because you are bound to endure a miserable time.

Advice to Management

Take a look at yourself in the mirror and really contemplate if you think this company deserves it's recognition as "one of the best places to work". The majority of my colleagues are miserable here. I understand the nature of the business revolves around quality care of patients, but if the employees are miserable, a trickle down effect will severely impact the quality of care taking place in the homes of the elderly, sick and disabled.

There are newer employer reviews for Visiting Nurse Service of New York