Vista Community Clinic

www.vistacommunityclinic.org
  www.vistacommunityclinic.org
There are newer employer reviews for Vista Community Clinic

Vista Community Clinic has a big heart for its patients and employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vista, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vista, CA

I have been working at Vista Community Clinic

Pros

Vista Community Clinic's roots began 40 years ago when a group of volunteers saw a need in the community to provide quality, affordable health care for those who did not have access to good health care. The clinic first opened its doors in rented space at the local dog pound. Over the past four decades, the clinic has grown to five locations in Vista and Oceanside. The new Women's Center at Vale Terrace opens in January, 2012. One of the reasons why I like working with Vista Community Clinic is because the clinic gives free medical and dental visits to the homeless. I want to work at a company that isn't profit driven, but cares about making a difference in people's lives. Patients appreciate us and are happy we're in the neighborhood. Anybody may walk through our door, but we focus on providing care to those who are facing tough times, either financially, socially or culturally. And in this economic climate, who isn't facing tough times? I like working for a company that strives to make a positive impact on its community. Vista Community Clinic is here for those who lose their health insurance due to a job loss, divorce or other event. At some point in life, most people experience a loss or interruption of health insurance and it's a scary time. Vista Community Clinic also helps patients enroll in public assistance programs. I like working for a company that is community-oriented. The clinic doesn't discriminate. Patients will find many different programs available, such as HIV testing and AIDS programs, cyber education for teens, alcohol, tobacco and drug prevention programs, programs for keeping kids healthy, maternal and child care, a diabetes program and several others. One of the best reasons I like working at Vista Community Clinic is interacting with patients. How many people get to hold babies on the job!? It's so cool!

Cons

We see over 57,000 patients a year and our days are busy, every minute. It's never boring! But it can be tiring. The workload is always heavy and there is never a shortage of sick people needing help, re-assurance or comfort. I think the staff is gracious to patients. I've been a patient myself and Iiked how the medical assistant checked in with me to give me the ETA of the doctor, who was running late because he was giving extra time to a patient who needed him. One of the downsides of working here has been the parking situation because of construction. However, that problem is now being remedied with a new parking structure and we're excited about that.

My advice to management would be to always have an open channel of communication. Communication is key. Be open to suggestions and feedback, listen to employees, have an open forum of a 2-way conversation. Keep employees in the loop regarding important developments within the organization.

3 Other Employee Reviews for Vista Community Clinic (View Most Recent)

Room for improvement, vast improvement

Current Employee - Manager in Vista, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Vista, CA

I have been working at Vista Community Clinic

Pros

With a turnover rate of 28% in 2007 and Upper Management (Directors) proud of the fact that turnover decreased to 20% in 2008, it is increasingly interesting to list reasons to work for this company.

Most turnover personnel enter the company with no experience or training, stay while getting trained and then jump at the opportunity of a better paid position with a different company. People who have been working with the organization for many years work either because they are very concerned about the work they do and the clients they impact or because they have managed to make this job a career as they believe this is as good as it gets.

Cons

Pay is one of the first things that comes to mind as a downside to working with the organization. Upper Management rationalizes this as being hand in hand with the not for profit industry.

Employees see the organization as a place to be during their job search and depart as soon as they get a new position elsewhere. This leads to unmotivated staff who are not dedicated to their trade and who provide adequate customer service at best. Turnover leads to more problems management has to deal with and leads to more job satisfaction.

Upper management is not sync-ed with the reality of what employees need in order to accomplish their job positively. Upper management does not understand some systems and relies on other personnel who in turn do not accomplish what they should in order to make everyone complete their jobs.

Recognition seems to be "yes-man" driven as opposed to merit driven. Those who get recognized are those who are friends with upper management, not necessarily those who excel at their jobs. This builds animosity amongst coworkers.

Actually listen to what employees have to say and not have findings from surveys, which seem not to reflect what employees are talking in the water cooler.

Do perform salary analysis, and really analyze the results.

FAIR

I have been working at Vista Community Clinic

Pros

Vista community Clinic provides opportunities to grow, they serve the low income community and they have many programs available,reasonable prices for visits and medication. VCC is growing and continues to grow.I love to work with VCC because it has given me the oppurtunity to grow but also has a lot of disadvantages working for this company.

Cons

Unfortunately this clinic hires a lot of family!!!! In one department you can find someone who is related to atleast 1 person!! This has been a problem because certain people can get away with certain stuff because they are related to someone with authority.....not cool!!! You have one manager and the daughter is a clinic manager for another department..... you have another department that management promotes an aunt or cousin to a higher position...its so interesting how family members tend to succeed faster than others. The "Higher Powers" of this clinic seem to be friendly at times, very unpredictable and almost feels as if they look down on certain people, Im sure this happens everywhere its just hard to find humble people these days. Since this clinic is " non-profit", VCC does not pay for overtime!! Only certain staff does?? Not sure why, but if i stay late to help a .patient my hours are "corrected" and my overtime is taken off! Never been paid for overtime, therefore I have to run to clock out, come back and finish whatever needs to be finished for that day. If we constatly get overtime..guess what we could get written up.

There are newer employer reviews for Vista Community Clinic