Vistage International

www.vistage.com
  www.vistage.com
There are newer employer reviews for Vistage International

great company that promotes employee development and excellence

I have been working at Vistage International

Pros

Vistage promotes employee development with trainings, book club, etc.

Cons

The work can be very fast paced.

42 Other Employee Reviews for Vistage International (View Most Recent)

Vistage will push you to the next level. Bright peers, incredible personal and career development!

I have been working at Vistage International

Pros

The status quo at Vistage is overachieving, but in a good way. We've consistently grown 15%, 8%, and 8% in the last three years. You can't ask for better performance and stability.

The norm for employees is to get your MBA at night. You can learn from virtually any of your peers because they are so bright and collaborative. Essentially Vistage is in the business of providing professional development to CEOs, business owners, and executives, so they expect world class customer service and performance from their employees. If you can deliver, the rewards are amazing, not just in compensation but in personal and career development.

Just named one of the TOP 125 training companies in the WORLD by Training Magazine, the opportunity to learn and grow yourself professionally is unparalleled. They leverage what they provide their members for their employees. The amount of revenue they spend in developing their employees and their business coaches is quite rare but it allows them to provide the very best in what's current and new.

The On-boarding of new employees is world class. Not only do you get a nice welcome basket, but you also get assigned a PAL, a buddy from another department to take you to lunch and help navigate your first couple months. You also have the chance to meet with every single department on your first day, so by day two, you already have a bunch of friends and familiar faces.

Overall, I am proud to work for Vistage and intend to have a long career with the company.

Cons

There is a lot of change, but you have to realize that it's good change. Everyday we have CEOs and C-level executives discussing in groups how best to deal with the economy and how to thrive in the new normal. So wouldn't it make sense that Vistage would leverage this knowledge and make changes to anticipate and stay ahead of the market trends?

You have to roll with the punches. If you do, you'll realize you're a better person and professional because of it.

The leadership at Vistage knows what they're doing. Sometimes there can be a disconnect between headquarters and the Business Coaches in the field, but overall we're in it together.

Most of us work at Vistage because we believe in our mission. We believe that if we can help leaders and CEOs of companies, we can make a difference. If a CEO is happy and able to grow his/her company, he/she is providing jobs and essentially driving the economy.

Some people say we're a little company that thinks we're solving world hunger. I say, what's wrong with that? We believe in what we do and we're passionate about it. That's a good reason to come to work everyday.

Important, valuable, satisfying work. Great co-workers. Company is making market-driven changes.

I have been working at Vistage International

Pros

Vistage is focused on helping the SME business owner or leader with improving their ability to manage and grow their business AND with improving and maintaining their life balance. The company is in the midst of making fairly massive structural changes (after 54 years in business). This means that department responsibilities have changed, impacting many employees. While the company tried hard to work with employees who were impacted, some who couldn't (or wouldn't) function in the new environment were let go. The good thing here is that the company made the tough changes and focused on the important things that needed to get done in order to survive and grow.

The fact that this strategy worked was reflected in the fact that an across-the-board raise (albeit small) was given to all employees in October reflecting the fact that the company is strong in the midst of the recession and management wanted to reward the employees who created that strength.

At least quarterly the company holds "all hands" meetings that share financial results, important news from various departments around the company and recognizes employee achievements. There are at least half a dozen significant employee awards that are given out every year including Rookie of the year, Emerging leader, Most valuable etc, etc.

Cons

There is a ton of work to do. I've been with the company several years and there is still a group of long-term employees who show up at 8:39, take an hour and fifteen minutes for lunch and leave at 4:50. Many of those people who spent years at headquarters when it was more of a country club atmosphere were swept out over the last couple of years. These were also the employees who most resisted making the changes that Vistage desperately needed to make to survive.

As newer employees have come in this has improved since many more employees are open and anxious to change. By the way, the turnover has never been 65% - that number is just flat wrong. (I know, I see the numbers). There was a year when it approached 30% but that was an atypical spike when some of the massive changes were being made.

Generally management is very supportive of a balanced work/life with the exception of the very top level where it is not unusual to receive an instruction over the weekend with an expectation that it will be completed by Monday morning. But this happens at the executive level and it rarely bleeds down to the "ranks". And yeah, I know for sure because I am often that last one out of the building so I know who is here working late and who isn't. In general if you fired a cannon down the hallway at 6:00 PM you wouldn't hurt anybody and for sure you wouldn't before 8:00 AM. Again, I'm not sure what the other reviewer is talking about.

Executive management seems to suffer from a "flavor of the month" mentality; starting a new project every month and then not following through. Although this has improved dramatically in the last couple of years it should still be an area of attention. Pick the critical few, focus on them, follow through.

There are newer employer reviews for Vistage International