Great people, tremendous opportunities

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Lexington, MA
Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Vistaprint is everything I hoped it would be and more. From the people I'm surrounded by to the work itself, I am impressed and challenged every day. It is a "work hard, play hard" culture for sure, and the amount of smart, talented individuals I see here are truly a tribute to Vistaprint's growing success. Not only is the company growing, but its employees are as well. Being a recent graduate, it is the ideal environment where I can develop my career and explore a multitude of avenues within the company.

Cons

I'm a contract employee, and I wish it was full-time!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great opportunity to learn and contribute with work life balance

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Lexington, MA

I have been working at Vistaprint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee development - There is a tremendous focus on employee development and employee retention. If you have feedback to make your job more interesting or relevant, your manager will work very hard to make that happen because attrition in the e-commerce industry is high. It is mandatory that you have weekly 1 on 1's with your manager and it is very common to have development meetings (just talk about how you are growing, how your projects fit into your future plan, what skills you are developing) monthly.

Smart people - I struggled with the hierarchy of "top talent" and "everyone else" at my prior company and it is really refreshing to work at a place where everyone is really smart, ambitious and moving up quickly. People are really generous with their time and it is very easy to find mentors.

Valuable work - The work you do is both highly valuable to yourself, Vistaprint and pretty much anyone else out there after you leave. It is actually encouraged to push back on analytics requests and ask how projects will add value to the company. It is incredibly easy to move across analytics functions.

What's next - While obviously a sensitive area, the outside respect for Vistaprint analysts really validates your decision to work here. Recent analysts have left for McKinsey, Facebook, CoGo labs (incubator), Wayfair (e-commerce company), a pHD at Duke, Cornell Law, and creating a start-up that was backed by a VC.

Cons

Cons – Old Vistaprint - There are so many pieces of the site that were built quickly and with a focus on quick revenue and not long term customer value. While that has changed, we are only on a long road and it can be hard to overlook ugly designs and a site that looks dated, which takes a lot of time to fix.

Expanding size - We will hit a billion dollar company that year and that means the hyper growth is hard to maintain with that there is more of a separation between leadership decisions and you.

Limited access to external consultants - While functionally almost impossible to differentiate from consulting, your clients are entirely internal. This can be beneficial because there are fewer of those high-stress, needs to be done today type deals but has some drawbacks in terms of extending your network.

Advice to Management

I am hearing too much "they" and not enough "we." The company is amazing and I think we have good transparency but not as much as there was before.

Excellent company in many ways. Not for independent thinkers.

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great get it done, do it now attitude. Very open about the performance of the business and the reasons for change.

Cons

Unless your are VP or higher independent thinking is heavily discouraged. Despite the openness, a heavily politics atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Fix the culture of punishing people for expressing ideas, and the culture of reporting minor issues with colleague to senior level management rather than talking directly to the colleague.