There are newer employer reviews for Vistaprint

Great atmosphere and people

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lexington, MA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people there were great - still keep in touch with a bunch, including my old boss. Beer on Friday's a great place to talk to people and get good opinions

Cons

Tough to move up, which is one of the reasons that I left. There were definitely some people that had been there for a long time, doing the same job, which is one thing I did not want to look back upon in 8 - 10 years.

My one concern is that I have heard through my friends that still work there that they are going through some middle - management layoffs. This is the kind of thing that was absolutely out of the question while I was there - everybody happy, needed, and secure in their roles. It seems that going public might have pushed the company into "how can we improve short term bottom line" mode...

Create a culture where advancement and career track is clear and visible.

reviews filtered by
  1. A great place to learn e-commerce

Former Employee - Creative in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Creative in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vistaprint offers a great environment for entry level or younger workers. Weekly happy hours with free food are a great draw for those in their 20s. I've also never worked in such a large company where the young co-workers are so tight. Many of them vacation together, live together, and go through all of their career and major life events together. In that way, this is an excellent company for those who want to come in young and build roots that will last for a lifetime.

Cons

Frequently changing leadership was a disappointment for me. We would form a group, gel, build momentum...and then things would change again. After doing it a few times, it got very old and prevented us from moving forward.

Keep an eye on those who manage people to make sure they are managing down -- as well as "managing up."

Join the circus, then leave as soon as possible.

Former Employee - Developer in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Developer in Lexington, MA

I worked at Vistaprint full-time

Pros

- free coffee and soda
    - food trucks every other week
    - beer on Friday

Cons

Where to begin? This place is an absolute circus. They go through company-wide reorganizations every 6 to 8 months because they can't find a successful formula. Most recently they axed the majority of their QA and Ops department so they could free up funds to hire more developers -- except any developer worth their salt wouldn't want to work in this environment. As a developer, do you enjoy working on new, cutting edge things? Too bad, at Vistaprint you'll spend the majority of your time working on legacy systems that has little to no documentation. Hope you like technology refreshes, aren't they fun and challenging?!

The executives are inept and ill-equipped to do their jobs, and the middle and upper management are largely composed of sycophants. The CEO is a non-entity, descending once a year from his luxury office in Paris to parade in front of the various offices, patting himself on the back self-congratulatorily, only to vanish for another year with nary a sight nor sound. He has no interest in the floundering core business -- only new ideas.

Touching on company performance and environment, it's a morose place at the moment. Ever since their mind-boggling pricing changes, they've been hemorrhaging, and it's plainly evident in the atmosphere. The employees know that something is seriously wrong, and only the most ardent Kool-aid drinkers are oblivious. Does a healthy company eliminate 90% of their QA staff?

To the more practical -- the office is an overcrowded dump, but that should change upon completion of their multi-million dollar new office down the street -- which I'm sure they couldn't afford, but are doing anyway. Parking is a problem, so if you don't want to show up an hour early, be prepared to drop your car off with a valet and wait 30 minutes to get it when you're ready to leave. Though maybe with all the layoffs, there's now more parking space available?

If you absolutely must work here, put in your two years, get it on your resume while the company still has any semblance of name power, and then get the hell out. Vistaprint gets poached aggressively by other, better companies, because those companies know that many Vistaprint employees are miserable and desperate to leave.

Dump the inept management. Identify and eliminate the sycophants. Encourage the CEO to give a damn about his company instead of his next big idea.

There are newer employer reviews for Vistaprint