Vitacost

www.vitacost.com
  www.vitacost.com
There are newer employer reviews for Vitacost

No Trust In Leadership. It is like quicksand.

Former Employee - Creative Director in Boca Raton, FL
Former Employee - Creative Director in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Vitacost full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I do not have anything good to say about this company.

Cons

There systems are ancient. NO work and family separating. To concerned about money and not innovation. Any innovation they did do was not innovative. No growth potential and low salaries. The CMO is not savvy and caused a lot of issues with initiatives that failed and cost the company. Let me be clear, his idea. Not a friendly work environment and to many people in Leadership working hard and not smart.

Get some real educated leaders in eCommerce and do not lose them. Treat people with the respect they deserve.

61 Other Employee Reviews for Vitacost (View Most Recent)

Low Morale Makes Everyone Fail

I worked at Vitacost full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company will let you work your entire shift before letting you know you have been fired so you get those last 8 hours of work. Because their are no cubicle walls, you could possibly see your replacement being interviewed in the "former executive offices". Like someone said in another post, the company offers filtered-water for it's employees

Cons

There is always a breeze from the revolving doors from employees being fired or having quit due to low morale. Executives continue to get raises and bonuses while employee benefits continue to be curtailed due to "budget" issues. Employees have to buy it's own office supplies due to frugal CEO. CEO "puppets" get preferrable treatment, you can tell who they are by where they are situated around him. The company will use you until they have squeezed every last ounce of knowledge out of you. They won't tell you that you're doing something wrong, they will just use their "recruiter" to find a replacement. Trust Me.. Do not accept that call. I got hired by the former recruiter and that person has already left this god-aweful company. This company is an industry leader in turnovers. HR always looks the other way and sides with the Executive team because they are scared themselves. HR at Vitacost.com is not trustworthy and they cannot be trusted. IT is clueless. All of their jobs will be outsourced to India pretty soon. Someone had mentioned in another post that most of the employees are all ex-Office Depot employees. The place is full of former Office Depot employees who are just drones and do not have any industry knowledge. Pivot tables and excel spreadsheets do not give insight to the what this company needs. The CEO needs to wake up. FInd some qualified industry experts or keep the employees who have been there an opportunity to shine. 6 months is pretty much seniority at this company. The CEO micro-manages every department.

Vitcost has no solid foundation. It's the "little people" who make the company run. I wonder how the founder of VitaminShoppe forgot about his own humble beginnings. Has he been blinded by greed? What happened to the days of building a staff of industry employees?

Same as most reviews here. Company was promising at one time.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Vitacost full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many pros made me join the company a few years back. These included:

1. Company provided lunch on Fridays - now gone
    2. Monthly birthday and employee SPOT/recognition awards - now gone
    3. Work from home option - now gone
    4. Company supplied pens and notebooks - now gone; employees encouraged to pilfer pens from doctors offices, etc. so provide their own.
    5. Stable and fun landscape of the company
    6. Company monthly allowance for free products - $100 to $50 to zero - i.e. now gone
    7. Sporadic 'fun' activities like cakes, treats, free products - now gone as well

Cons

The CEO micro manages most departments based on his perceived intuition. I genuinely like the man; he is a generous person and has done great things, but his approach has rubbed me and other employees the wrong way over the past year. He complains a lot about people behind their back while talking sweetly to their face. Very vocal man; not strategic or appropriate.

Many of the original perks are gone, if not all. The company has been watching their purse strings through 2 CFOs, 4 or 5 CIOs and countless managers. The company has a noticeable 'sadness' among employees with a very apparent negative morale. I left on my own after realizing that eventually, my career would be a dead end there. There was constant reminders of saving money and not providing the same old fun type things of yesteryear.

Re-evaluate your approach to strategic growth. The company grew from about 40 employees to over 200 in about a year. The cubicles were taken down and there was an obvious tone of negativity among many areas of the company. You're growing too fast and have lost a lot of good talent; some by their own decision and some by your own poor choice of layoffs/firings.

There are newer employer reviews for Vitacost