There are newer employer reviews for Vitacost

Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Vitacost full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leader in it's class. Innovative, fun, high speed atmosphere. Ability to be seen if you are hard working...you won't last here if your not. Never a dull moment. Will learn more here than you will at any large corporation. This company has the ability to be great. Leadership includes pioneers from Vitamin shop, Amazon,Rosetta Stone and Gilt Group... Who know where they want to steer the organization.-- and are slowly getting there.

Cons

Company had previously been staffed by uneducated persons, who felt far more valuable than they were. As the company continues to grow, more experienced, educated leadership was brought in, causing a raised bar, and unfortunately layoffs of the prior regime. this has caused some poor morale. There is some internal conflict between the older and newer associates. Due to the open floor plan, you witness a lot, many times more than you should.

Stay focused on the big picture--

56 Other Employee Reviews for Vitacost (View Most Recent)

Going elsewhere like so many others

Current Employee - Marketing in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pleasant co worker are abundant as well as mostly intelligent people. Sunny state, nice area and plenty of walking sidewalks around the complex as I walk a lot. I also use the workout and showers periodically at night.

Cons

The outlook of the company concerns me dearly. I am an old timer (6 years) and we are not turning a profit still. We are cutting back a lot and even the CEO has dumped millions of his own money to help us stay afloat. I genuinely like the company and people, but we can't seem to turn a profit. for whatever reason. I am afraid it will be a mass lay off so I am currently looking elsewhere. I have nothing 'bad' to say about the company except that the aura is negative and many people do indeed gossip and partake in immature activities like many reviews here state. Personally, I am over that, just looking for a stable and growing company to join so I can enjoy the last 3rd or so of my career. I have seen a CIO, VP, COO and 4 management members leave over the past 8 or 9 months (many by their own doing and many others through 'layoffs' and this has me concerned).

Get some help to steer the organization to a stable financial state. The current ways don't seem to be working and many employees are creating a negative workplace. Give some sort of incentive like SPOT awards on a monthly basis; this was done over the years, but stopped last summer.

Opportunity Abound and a Happy Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boynton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boynton Beach, FL

I have been working at Vitacost full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have worked for several large corporations in my career and this is the first time working for a "smaller" company. Vitacost has a LOT of opportunity and as support functions and management find new and better ways of doing things and getting products to market faster - they don't sit in ivory towers making decisions with no input. They rally the teams and get a round table approach to problems and find REAL solutions.

As for the previous comments about "no more employee lunches" and "no free goods" - well you obviously don't know what is important in a work environment. The measure of a successful company, is its ability to grow and evolve. When you stay stagnant and rest on your laurels of the "yesteryear" you fail.

The CEO (as every CEO does) expects results. If you are expecting less from any management team, perhaps you should find another field. However, different from the other companies I have worked at, the CEO here sits with his people, is interested in their personal lives, their education on the industry.

As for the comment about excel skills and no industry experience - the measure of a truly successful merchant is being able to learn the widget, analyze the information about its performance, negotiate better metrics and EXECUTE. I have worked as a buyer in half a dozen vastly different industries and never failed at getting them to grow. Its the measure of your ability to manage a business, not necessarily know every detail of one particular product category before entering into it.

The morale is the BEST I have ever experienced. I genuinely am excited (as are most other emplyees here) and happy about coming into work everyday and feel motivated and encouraged to continue to grow. Feedback is given and performance measured but its an environment where I feel I can make a mistake and not be made to feel that I am not valued because of it. Its definitely one of the best companies I have worked for and am excited about growing as the company grows!

Cons

Regret I didn't come here sooner.

Keep up the awesome work and the company will continue the healthy upward growth towards greatness!

There are newer employer reviews for Vitacost