Vitacost
www.vitacost.com Boca Raton, FL 500 to 999 Employees

A non-emotional picture of what this company is all about

Junior Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at Vitacost full-time for more than a year

ProsI am surprised to see such terrible reviews for Vitacost; they seem more like bitter reactions than dignified reviews. To those who are genuinely interested in Vitacost as a job prospect I will write about my experiences here and hope that they help you get a non-emotional picture of what this company is all about.

When I was contacted by the in-house Vitacost recruiter I almost did not go to the interview; I thought that Vitacost was some sort of call-center or warehouse, the name did not inspire me to want to work there. I decided to go anyway and I am glad that I did. When you enter Vitacost corporate headquarters you will be surprised to see that everything is out in the open. It looks like what you would expect Google or Facebook to look like; a large open room with dozens of desks arranged face to face with monitors all over the place to view this or that metric. Everyone is moving around and communicating and it seems more like a trading floor than an office. There are private rooms and conference rooms, and private bathrooms, yes face-to-face stalls would have been weird; but for the most part everything is out in the open. I remember thinking that this could not be conducive to working, but it is. This is a high-tech company with movers and shakers that need to communicate quickly. Also, being around people motivates and entertains you. I get a kick out of listening to other peoples funny conversations, or hearing about their crazy weekend; it is a nice social environment that does not cause the distraction that I thought it would. There have been countless times that being out in the open has given exposure to an issue that my team and I were working on.

It does not benefit anyone to focus on the negative, but since there is so much of it here I would like to set the record straight on some of these comments. Or at least offer my view so that you have something to weigh them against.

Losing the free $50.00 a month allowance for products. This was an incentive for Vitacost brand products only that stopped because of an in-house change to manufacturing, it was not a cost cutting decision, not primarily anyway. Moreover, this benefit was sporadically utilized and it was more of a pain than it was worth. Employees still get a discount on the site, that has not changed.

Office supplies are no longer purchased. This has been greatly exaggerated. Basically it boils down to our CEO not wanting to waste materials like printing paper and the like. This is a green movement and should be herald. The joke about stealing pens from banks is nothing more than a joke, the CEO is a funny guy.

Free lunches were removed. This is true, they were removed, and I suspect it was due to several factors. People were not grateful for the lunches anymore, they simply expected them. And when they picked something there was an audible wave of complaints. Also, we are a health and wellness company, have you ever tried to feed this type of person? Everyone has a different diet, it’s impossible. I also think that management would rather save the budget for more meaningful celebrations then these miniscule lunches. I personally do not miss them.

The company waits until your shift is over to fire you. Every company does this, be grateful that you got that much more pay before you were let go.

ConsHigh turnover. From what I have seen, and from what other people have commented, there has been a lot of turnover; and I completely agree that this is concerning, but it is not constant. There have been some growing adjustments and people have left, but it is not more than a regular company. The difference here is that you can see everything that happens. We all sit next to each other, if someone leaves it’s very noticeable. Also, it’s not like there is a fire-lottery at the end of every week; the people that were let go, for the most part, were people you might have guessed were on their way out anyway.

Shoe-in hiring. This is completely incorrect. I can attest to this because I have placed four highly qualified resumes in HR and management's hands and these people were not hired. These decisions are based individually on need and are not given special merit.

There is a conflict between I.T. and marketing. I work in I.T. and YES! We have nerf guns and we shoot them at marketing. It is public knowledge that our CIO was changed and I can say, having been here prior to the current CIO, that things have changed for the better. Our new CIO is incredibly personable (as was our old CIO) and sharp as a knife, although he is intentionally playful to be disarming. Whatever imagined conflict is no more; we work very closely with everyone in the company as we are always helping in any way that we can. We love what we do and I can attest to the fact that from helpdesk to the CIO, everyone will help you. We will crawl under your desk and fix your PC with a smile and a joke. It is an incredibly friendly environment both in I.T., and in Marketing; we get along extremely well. This is one of the factors that I most like about working at Vitacost. I can speak to the CEO, the director of HR, and the maintenance man all with the same casual confidence. Everyone is down to earth at Vitacost.

I.T. is clueless and will be outsourced soon. I wish I knew how many times I have heard this threat. I cannot comment too much on this but I can say that this is not true. We have a highly qualified and thorough I.T. staff that is not going anywhere. These are some of the best people I have worked with and I have worked in a lot of places. The seniors are always willing to teach the juniors, directors are even tempered and polite, development is always willing to be pulled aside for a question, and our apps support and QA teams are amazing. There are problems, people are people, but we get it done and it is exciting in the process.

This is a company that offers opportunity for those that are willing to bust their ass to get it. Within the first six months I was promoted and I am constantly being given more responsibility. I did not know anyone here prior to being employed, I am not particularly friendly with the management, and I do not belong to a religious majority. I am a person who worked and earned. Not to make this all sunshine and roses, there are times that I am scared of losing my job. But I think that this is because the market is still bouncing back, and I have been laid off before; that combined with a visible hiring/firing process has unnerved me, but fear is all that has come from it. I am very happy working for Vitacost and I would highly recommend it to anyone that is driven.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company is what you make it; this can be the land of opportunity, or the land of excuses, it’s on you.

Great company to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Vitacost full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Leader in it's class. Innovative, fun, high speed atmosphere. Ability to be seen if you are hard working...you won't last here if your not. Never… Cons: Company had previously been staffed by uneducated persons, who felt far more valuable than they were. As the company continues to grow, more experienced, educated… Advice to Senior Management: Stay focused on the big picture-- – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Going elsewhere like so many others

Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vitacost full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Pleasant co worker are abundant as well as mostly intelligent people. Sunny state, nice area and plenty of walking… Cons: The outlook of the company concerns me dearly. I am an old timer (6 years) and we are not turning a profit still. … Advice to Senior Management: Get some help to steer the organization to a stable financial state. The current ways don't seem to be working and many employees are… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Vitacost.

Worked for Vitacost? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vitacost reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vitacost CEO Jeffrey J. Horowitz. All reviews posted anonymously by Vitacost employees.