There are newer employer reviews for Vitas Innovative Hospice Care

great people, good benefits.

Current Employee - Social Worker  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
Current Employee - Social Worker in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time for more than a year

Pros

the work, the people- the mission

Cons

not appreciated enough, financially or by higher ups

better people skills

115 Other Employee Reviews for Vitas Innovative Hospice Care (View Most Recent)

Onerous workload for the "Primary Nurse"

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Founded with excellent principles.

A reduced amount of PTO is still offered though use of it is less often approved.

The corporation freely spends for marketing.

Remember--Be happy you have a job. Office staff smile and work hard performing whatever tasks are part of "their job"

Company is currently solvent and is a subsidiary of Chemed Corporation which also owns Roto-Rooter.
    Chemed is a publicly traded company on the stock exchange-therefore much corporate info is readily available for any who care to look.

Cons

Verbal feedback to individual Team Nurses and/or any of the hands-on Team Members (HA, LCSW, Chaplain) is consistently negative. In general feedback entails increasing productivity levels, increasing paperwork, decreasing costs/expenses, reduction of reimbursement for job related expenses and/or the need to reduce the supplies allotted for the patient's care.

An employee who exceeds standards in each area on the annual review will not see any increase in hourly earnings.

Wages at Vitas have long been known to be lower than our competitors. For several years Vitas has frozen wages and I suspect that this will continue as Vitas repositions itself to maintain profitability under the increased scrutiny associated with healthcare reform.

Company Culture is full of contradiction - rules and regulations are inconsistently applied. I have never seen a policy & procedure manual at Vitas. I suppose this fact is unimportant since the rules change from day to day and apply differently to each individual employee and/or patient situation.

Attention RNS

Be honest

When you enter your time each day: Remember to enter all hours that you work but do NOT include the hours required to finish the ever expanding paperwork which will eat up your time on weekends and during the evening.

Make sure to include at least a 30 minute lunch break when you enter your time daily. (even though you do not have time to eat) On the rare occasion that you do find time for the 30 minute lunch break--You will still required to respond within 15 minutes of receiving a call from Vitas

Though you are an "hourly" employee, you may be contacted after 5pm or before 8am as a convenience for Vitas managers or patient care secretaries

You will take call every 4 or 5 weeks and not be paid call pay if you are not sent out.
    If you are sent out, you will not be paid overtime--however you will be paid "fee for service" -- You may be sent to difficult cases that require >3hrs of your time which will provide you with an effective pay rate of ~$17.50/hour before taxes.

I cannot suggest a thing--

The values that Vitas Innovative Hospice Care on which the company was built have morphed into marketing slogan to those in Corporate/Senior Management.

Years of my life that I will never get back

I worked at Vitas Innovative Hospice Care full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I was honored to care for countless people who were at the end of life.

My co-workers were amazing people with gigantic hearts.

Cons

I drank the Kool Aid. I worked my butt off and worked myself towards an early death. Rah Rah Go Team!

I constantly had to juggle working two teams. The caseloads were 2x higher than industry standards, so much of the time I had to deal with four times a many patients as any person in my position should have had to endure. I lived with constant guilt because I knew my patients were not getting the kind of attention they deserved.

I was hit with a catastrophic illness and was lucky to come out alive with a much shortened life expectancy. As a reward for fighting for my life, their self-administered employee health plan reversed all of the payments made to my health care providers after I coughed up $13,000 for COBRA. This situation left me hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt and has completely destroyed my credit. I can't get an attorney to take the case since it falls under ERISA Law (look it up) . No attorney will touch it since there is no provision for their compensation nor for my own recompense. They left me ruined.

I also thought I was wise to sign up for their long term disability plan when I PURCHASED my benefits. What a joke! They do not tell you when you buy the benefit that their carrier is permitted to use their own definition of "disability." When I was told I would not be able to return to work I figured I could at least live on the 60% of my salary that the plan provided. W R O N G! I was kicked off after 20 months, again with no recourse since that plan also falls under ERISA.

I hope that all of these quacks who post about the fabulous benefits will never have to go through the hell that has been my life since I worked at Vitas.

Your values are a joke.

Patients and families do not come first. The bottom line does.

If this is how you take care of each other, then maybe I should introduce you to my dogs? They can teach you a few things.

If you're doing your very best today, then don't bother waking up tomorrow. How do you people sleep at night?

The only people who matter to you are your stockholders.

There are newer employer reviews for Vitas Innovative Hospice Care

Worked for Vitas Innovative Hospice Care? Contribute to the Community!