Vocus
www.whyworkatvocus.com Beltsville, MD 1000 to 5000 Employees

You're much better off looking elsewhere

Small Business Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Herndon, VA

I worked at Vocus full-time for less than a year

ProsIf you're a young, recent college grad, its a fairly comfortable environment to be in - free refreshments, young workforce and, though it definitely pales in comparison to the Beltsville HQ, there is at least a small sliver of that "tech company" atmosphere - informal dress, laid back atmosphere, etc.

I had no real issues with my coworkers or my immediate superior (our sales manager for our group of 12 sales reps - there are about 6 or 7 of these groups in the office).

ConsAs others said, there are some very serious issues within the company at this point that aren't limited to the Herndon office - you'll notice much better reviews for the Beltsville HQ, mostly for their excellent amenities (its like an amusement park), but those that have platitudes for the small business sales work experience, my .02 would be to take those with a grain of salt.

Where to begin - firstly, the training is very poor. At my time there, we were given about a week of very high level "training" on SEO, online marketing in general, etc. We hardly touched on our actual products, and thus we were absolutely unprepared to field prospective customer questions. We weren't prepped to sound authoritative or even properly knowledgeable about the products or concepts we were tasked with selling. One example from my time there - when I got to my desk and started making calls, I found that we at times had to talk to prospects about VPR, Vocus's top-tier PR program. I didn't even know it existed until then; nothing was even mentioned during training.

Getting into the actual day to day work, much of what they tell you during the on-boarding process is more than a little detached from the reality:

The sales program they use - Salesforce - is fairly straightforward but again, very little training is provided. I had to scrounge some training material from someone on another team that I was lucky to find.

You are expected to make either 70 calls or 2 hours talk time daily, a figure that often tied my coworkers to their desks making calls they knew were worthless just to hit artificial targets. You will be reprimanded if you weed through your daily sales data to make 20 calls and have actual, worthwhile conversations that are likely to convert into demos and possible sales, instead of making 70 1 minute phone calls to bunk leads. As for making actual sales, its very difficult, because...

The leads are very, very poor. For whatever reason, the lead gen department relies almost solely on banner campaigns dispersed on often irrelevant, bottom of the barrel websites, leading to dozens of unqualified leads daily. People who accidentally clicked, and often people who clicked on our ad that made its way onto work-from-home sites asking for their starter kits. By and large, during my recent time there, we were not attracting qualified leads - the people you could actually get on the phone were not interested, had no funds, just wanted their free iPod, etc. Knowing what I said earlier about the lack of proper training, It got to the point that I felt that no amount of training could prepare you for the people we were tasked with selling. After a while it was just sort of ridiculous. I was approached about starting cold calling, which I was told was adamantly not allowed. It was a desperate environment.

The compensation and much advertised vacation time amounted to little once you were on the floor. A base of 30k + commission - the commission rates are fairly good, but the reality is that to make a sale with this crowd, you're having to heavily discount the package you're selling, which definitely cuts into your take home. The vacation time - though generous, you're basically discouraged from using it. Upper mgmt. will swear up and down that you can take off whenever, but your manager will basically disallow you leaving during several times of the year (ends of quarters, around certain holidays, etc.) Plus, because reaching your quota is largely a pipe-dream, you're pressured into staying to be on the phone.

The relationship between managers, upper mgmt. and the sales staff was often strained. The staff is largely kept in the dark about the problems being faced and what is being done to correct them, and complaints often fall on deaf ears. Your immediate manager will do their best, but you can tell their hands are tied and mouths often gagged.

In all - you're better off to not waste your time. "Vocus" may still be a hot buzzword for your conversations with other employers, but I did not feel that I gained any valuable experience, besides learning for myself exactly the type of environment I did not want to be in. Turnover is high, its a heavily turn-and-burn environment. The only people that I saw getting ahead were those who stayed past 7pm every night, serving as online chat reps and trying to snag overseas prospects and/or incessantly calling/emailing old leads.

If you're moderately intelligent and have experience in other work environments, it'll be quickly clear to you that there are several problems with the environment as a whole. I'll save you the time and effort (and regret) and encourage you, no matter what that cheery recruiter tells you at the job fair, to look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp your entire lead gen department - its awful
Improve communication with your staff at all levels
Provide actual training

An environment thats fun and a job that challenges you

Software Sales Executive - Small Business (Current Employee)
Herndon, VA

I have been working at Vocus full-time for less than a year

Pros: Benefits Product Control your own salary Work environment Cons: Not enough training on the different aspects Allow a few… Advice to Senior Management: Hire good managers when needed. Not just a "position… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Started off strong and majorly bombed

I have been working at Vocus full-time for less than a year

Pros: Friendly people, free soda and coffee, the atmosphere is very… Cons: Inconsistent expectations, increasingly poor sales leads, management will allow bad behavior and shady practices if you're… Advice to Senior Management: Stop over-promising and under-delivering. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Vocus.

Worked for Vocus? Contribute to the Community!

Vocus – Why Work for Us?

About Us Vocus (NASDAQ: VOCS) provides leading cloud-based marketing and public relations software that enables companies to acquire and retain customers. The company offers products and services to help clients attract… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vocus reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Vocus CEO Rick Rudman. All reviews posted anonymously by Vocus employees.