Vocus

www.vocus.com

Who wants to start their sales/technology career off on the right foot?"

Current Employee - Software Sales Executive - Small Business  in  Herndon, VA
Current Employee - Software Sales Executive - Small Business in Herndon, VA

Pros

The small business department grew by about 100% in 2012. This is a hot, hot place to be right now and the company's new Marketing Suite product is way better than the old version.

If you want a work hard/play hard sales environment with an average age of about 24, then this is a great place to work. If you're interested in sales, then there are very very few places where you would be better off starting your career. People go to happy hour with their teams every week. Vocus employees start their own Tumblr blogs making fun of the people we talk to on the phones every day. On my side of the office, we get told to stop laughing so loud about 3 times a day.

I see 23 year-olds getting to the top of the division's leaderboard and 24 year olds making it into MANAGEMENT. If you can find another place that offers those opportunities to first-time salespeople, let me know.

You will make a lot of calls, and you will get frustrated at times. The difference at Vocus is that you will be psyched about the people you work with, and after you "do your time" the chances are actually there for you to grow - all over the company.

Cons

The small business department grew by about 100% in 2012.

There have definitely been growing pains:
- it's been really hard to marketing to keep up with a flow of A+ leads for all the new reps
- it's been tough for our training system and managers to keep up with coaching the new reps
- it's been a transition from a totally 'wild west' environment to executives trying to manage a larger organization by the numbers

If you think that a temporary set of 'stretch marks' like this that so obviously come from their explosive growth is going to last forever or sink the company, you're not thinking things through.

I'm no polyanna, but the company's been really clear that 2012 was a year to focus on growth and 2013 will be a year to go back and fill in the gaps. Better leads, better training and more opportunities for growth are all on the way. People should have the foresight to think ahead and understand which problems are temporary and which problems are permanent.

And one more thing. If you're applying for a sales job and you decide not to take it because people say it's "hard to make quota", then you should rethink sales as a career choice. When people dedicate to learning sales (not just showing up and punching in phone numbers) and they put in the effort here, they make their quota. And this company takes very, very good care of the people who make their quota.

Continue promoting people from within the company. We need to see that.

Hurry up with the marketing/leads overhaul. We all want to move on to better days there.

Try to make the 'perks' at satellite offices a little more like the ones at HQ in Beltsville.

Other reviews for Vocus

First job where I actually look forward to coming to work

Current Employee - Small Business Account Executive  in  Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Small Business Account Executive in Beltsville, MD

Pros

The day flies by, I'm always busy with things that needs to get done. It's a challenging job that changes day to day. The people are all really nice and the facility is incredible. I like knowing that if I work hard you will be compensated and recognized. You have to be ready and have a desire to work but it is a great place. I love getting to build relationships with my clients and going that extra mile for them. This is a great company and I would recommend it to any recent college grad or someone who is looking for a change. The company is growing by leaps and bounds and now is a great time to get involved.

Cons

There is always something to do!

Very good experiences for the long run

Former Employee - Software Sales Executive  in  Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Software Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD

Pros

Great atmosphere, great people to work with

Cons

Very high to attain quota

better training to meet customer needs?

There are newer employer reviews for Vocus.

Worked for Vocus? Contribute to the Community!