Vocus

www.vocus.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Vocus

Probably the best cubical farm on the East Coast.

Former Employee - Mid Market Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD
Former Employee - Mid Market Sales Executive in Beltsville, MD

I worked at Vocus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Disney like office complex, world class gym, & young enthusiastic people. Beyond that its a positive environment to work in.

Cons

Inside sales in a cube farm with hundreds of people.

Keep growing

279 Other Employee Reviews for Vocus (View Most Recent)

Modern product, Modern Company

I have been working at Vocus full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Vocus has a great vision, great leadership, and a great culture. I believe it is easy for candidates and employees to identify how great the culture is but first the company focus & internal resources are very helpful. They are growing fast but they have a great 4 week training program and a wonderful mix of management that has experience selling the products, and outside leadership that bring innovative ideas. Many managers have started at the bottom and worked their way up so they really know our product and tools to help each employee become successful. There is a lot of opportunity for advancement and growth internally.

Cons

Contradictory to a pro I just gave them is their growth in 2012. They have grown so quickly that there have been some growing pains. They already needed to expand the HQ they just moved into at the end of 2011. Also, it seems that their turn has been heavier but really its been the same percentage of low performers, just that the number of employees is higher. I believe 2012 was a grow-out and everything will settle into place in 2013. Good luck Vocus.

Growing takes patience and time. Keep your long term growth plans in place, just be patient with employees, the buying and talent market.

Who wants to start their sales/technology career off on the right foot?"

Current Employee - Software Sales Executive - Small Business in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Software Sales Executive - Small Business in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Vocus full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The small business department grew by about 100% in 2012. This is a hot, hot place to be right now and the company's new Marketing Suite product is way better than the old version.

If you want a work hard/play hard sales environment with an average age of about 24, then this is a great place to work. If you're interested in sales, then there are very very few places where you would be better off starting your career. People go to happy hour with their teams every week. Vocus employees start their own Tumblr blogs making fun of the people we talk to on the phones every day. On my side of the office, we get told to stop laughing so loud about 3 times a day.

I see 23 year-olds getting to the top of the division's leaderboard and 24 year olds making it into MANAGEMENT. If you can find another place that offers those opportunities to first-time salespeople, let me know.

You will make a lot of calls, and you will get frustrated at times. The difference at Vocus is that you will be psyched about the people you work with, and after you "do your time" the chances are actually there for you to grow - all over the company.

Cons

The small business department grew by about 100% in 2012.

There have definitely been growing pains:
    - it's been really hard to marketing to keep up with a flow of A+ leads for all the new reps
    - it's been tough for our training system and managers to keep up with coaching the new reps
    - it's been a transition from a totally 'wild west' environment to executives trying to manage a larger organization by the numbers

If you think that a temporary set of 'stretch marks' like this that so obviously come from their explosive growth is going to last forever or sink the company, you're not thinking things through.

I'm no polyanna, but the company's been really clear that 2012 was a year to focus on growth and 2013 will be a year to go back and fill in the gaps. Better leads, better training and more opportunities for growth are all on the way. People should have the foresight to think ahead and understand which problems are temporary and which problems are permanent.

And one more thing. If you're applying for a sales job and you decide not to take it because people say it's "hard to make quota", then you should rethink sales as a career choice. When people dedicate to learning sales (not just showing up and punching in phone numbers) and they put in the effort here, they make their quota. And this company takes very, very good care of the people who make their quota.

Continue promoting people from within the company. We need to see that.

Hurry up with the marketing/leads overhaul. We all want to move on to better days there.

Try to make the 'perks' at satellite offices a little more like the ones at HQ in Beltsville.

There are newer employer reviews for Vocus