There are newer employer reviews for Volcano Corporation

Product Manager

Current Employee - Associate Product Manager  in  Rancho Cordova, CA
Current Employee - Associate Product Manager in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at Volcano Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, lots of opportunity, always challenging, forward thinking company

Cons

Cut throat, not compensated for performance, too much variability in management styles

46 Other Employee Reviews for Volcano Corporation (View Most Recent)

Not a bad company, but has problems

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Volcano Corporation as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Very nice group of people, good work environment, generally a good place to work.

Generally a good group of employees. Better than average in my opinion. Seems that the hiring screen is better than average.

Cons

I can only speak of the software development effort. Big problems here

(Overly?)Ambitious product concept.

Delivery (really, really) long overdue.

The comments here from software engineers suggest that the management interference is the source of all the problems. Sorry guys, if the project were delivered more or less on time and met expectations, management wouldn't feel so inclined to interfere. Basically, the software development team has failed to deliver and the company has suffered accordingly.

a) recognize that the software development team has failed to deliver.
    b) revisit all original assumptions - project scope, development practices, etc, etc.
    c) be willing to re-assign responsibilities to different people.
    d) actually, be willing to assign responsibilities. Most code doesn't have a copyright nor programmers name. It's unclear who's responsible for what, etc. etc. Basically business management 101 - blocking and tackling.

Management is trying to do this, but they're two high level so their sort of flailing away. If they keep it up they might get lucky though - or maybe not.

Worst company I have ever worked for.

Former Employee - Software Engineering  in  Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Volcano Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

I managed to find another job and leave!

Cons

I dont even know where to begin. Management are idiots who do not listen to reason or suggestions. They expect people to abandon their lives outside of work and give 20+ hours a week of extra work for no pay and when the project is still late you are blamed and made feel like we need to work harder.

The project I worked on was already 2 years late and they made everyday feel like we were going to be releasing it the next day. PANIC PANIC PANIC. It was unstructured chaos which should not be the case for a medical device company. Their logic is more focused on having meetings about meetings about meetings where nobody decides anything and you end up wasting most of your week in them. They ask you to sacrifice your lunch for a meeting and only provide a sandwich and a bag of chips. Do not think for a second you will get the hour off at the end of the day. If you complain about anything or make a valid point you are made to feel you are the only person who feels this way by the management even though most people you speak to agree.

As for management they will fight you every step of the way no matter how wrong they are on a topic. They use the length of time they have been there as some sort of top trump card that means you are wrong in every way and they are right. While there I have never gone to so many going away parties. So many people left and even up until today I hear of more people leaving regularly. Those who leave congratulations on getting out. Those who stay you are in my thoughts and I feel deeply sorry for you.

Fire everyone from middle and upper management up to and including yourselves and hire decent respectable people that treat their employees with the respect they deserve. Yearly raises, actual comp time/overtime for extra hours, Cash bonuses for hard work instead of those stupid Volcano stuffed lions with capes (what have they got to do with IVUS anyway?)

TREAT PEOPLE LIKE PEOPLE AND NOT LIKE SLAVES. You have great employees. Do not wait until it is too late and the best of them have left.

There are newer employer reviews for Volcano Corporation

Worked for Volcano Corporation? Contribute to the Community!