Welcome to the Machine

Former Employee - Tech Editor II in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Tech Editor II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Volt Information full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As far as contracting through Volt, it's not a bad place to work but nothing special either. I'd say it ranks about the same as any other enormous, monolithic, impersonal corporation. Sadly, this is the biggest "Pros" example I can provide.

Cons

Benefits have definitely deteriorated over the years and are not as competitive, relatively speaking, as with other contracting agencies. Communication is often an issue. When I had a question about my benefits, I was treated indifferently and passed along to three different people, the final person not at all confident about her answer.

Advice to Management

Improve communication between yourselves and your employees, instructing them to improve communication with their contractors and vendors. Take a pay cut and improve benefits back to normal levels.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good for short-term employment at Microsoft

Former Contractor - Software Test Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Software Test Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Volt Information as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on the group that you get into, it can either be just a paycheck or an interesting gig to be a contractor at Microsoft. Because of the history between contractors and MSFT, team leads are somewhat limited in how they include you as part of the team, but some are better than others about including you at every opportunity. It's a good way to get your foot in the door at Microsoft and to get some good, focused experience in a particular area (dev, test, PM) for a year or two.

Cons

Volt will try to keep your hourly rate low, since they basically make the difference between what they charge MSFT and what they pay you. If, like me, you were coming from a permanent position into Volt, keep in mind that you have to take a 100 day break every year and you are paying for part of your medical benefits, so your hourly rate should be higher than you think it should be.

It's also hard for me to imagine building a career as a Volt contract at Microsoft. I always saw it as a way to pay the rent, have some flexibility (in when I started contracts) and build some skills in preparation for a real career-building job somewhere else down the line.

Advice to Management

I think managment (or at least the reps that we, as contractors, interact with) know that many people are using it as a stepping stone to a permanent job (either at MSFT or elsewhere; and they are clearly rewarded for just getting relatively-inoffensive people in to fill positions quickly without any real concern for that person's career objectives. So it's an odd symbiotic relationship in which neither side really likes the other - and that's ok for what most poeple expect from being a contractor. I guess I'd just say don't pretend like it's anything more. Also, pay the full medical insurance premiums, rather than having the employee's contribute. At least in the software industry, that is the industry standard, and it might make people feel better about staying with Volt a little longer than we typically do, which would be good for Volt as well.

2. great, helpful in finding a job fast

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Volt Information full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

i was having a really hard time finding a job and they helped me get my foot in the door great

Cons

they do not offer benefits