Volt Information

There are newer employer reviews for Volt Information

Welcome to the Machine

Former Employee - Tech Editor II in Redmond, WA
Former Employee - Tech Editor II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Volt Information full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As far as contracting through Volt, it's not a bad place to work but nothing special either. I'd say it ranks about the same as any other enormous, monolithic, impersonal corporation. Sadly, this is the biggest "Pros" example I can provide.

Cons

Benefits have definitely deteriorated over the years and are not as competitive, relatively speaking, as with other contracting agencies. Communication is often an issue. When I had a question about my benefits, I was treated indifferently and passed along to three different people, the final person not at all confident about her answer.

Improve communication between yourselves and your employees, instructing them to improve communication with their contractors and vendors. Take a pay cut and improve benefits back to normal levels.

288 Other Employee Reviews for Volt Information (View Most Recent)

Professional staffing agency.

Former Employee - Temporary in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Temporary in Denver, CO

I worked at Volt Information as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They put me to work, Quick and accurate interview assessment process, job placement comparable to my skill set, option to turn down assignments, most companies I temped for were willing to hire permanently, Quality assignments accurately resembled what was related by the recruiters, I turned downed more positions than I accepted but recruiters remained active in providing opportunities, I was able to contact them again during transitions between jobs, I set the pay I was willing to accept and recruiters found opportunities within my range.

Cons

Temp opportunities rarely provide benefits, and the commute to certain assignments can be taxing.

Keep doing what your doing, I would and will use Volt again should the need arise.

Good for short-term employment at Microsoft

Former Employee - Software Test Engineer II in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Test Engineer II in Redmond, WA

I worked at Volt Information as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Depending on the group that you get into, it can either be just a paycheck or an interesting gig to be a contractor at Microsoft. Because of the history between contractors and MSFT, team leads are somewhat limited in how they include you as part of the team, but some are better than others about including you at every opportunity. It's a good way to get your foot in the door at Microsoft and to get some good, focused experience in a particular area (dev, test, PM) for a year or two.

Cons

Volt will try to keep your hourly rate low, since they basically make the difference between what they charge MSFT and what they pay you. If, like me, you were coming from a permanent position into Volt, keep in mind that you have to take a 100 day break every year and you are paying for part of your medical benefits, so your hourly rate should be higher than you think it should be.

It's also hard for me to imagine building a career as a Volt contract at Microsoft. I always saw it as a way to pay the rent, have some flexibility (in when I started contracts) and build some skills in preparation for a real career-building job somewhere else down the line.

I think managment (or at least the reps that we, as contractors, interact with) know that many people are using it as a stepping stone to a permanent job (either at MSFT or elsewhere; and they are clearly rewarded for just getting relatively-inoffensive people in to fill positions quickly without any real concern for that person's career objectives. So it's an odd symbiotic relationship in which neither side really likes the other - and that's ok for what most poeple expect from being a contractor. I guess I'd just say don't pretend like it's anything more. Also, pay the full medical insurance premiums, rather than having the employee's contribute. At least in the software industry, that is the industry standard, and it might make people feel better about staying with Volt a little longer than we typically do, which would be good for Volt as well.

There are newer employer reviews for Volt Information