There are newer employer reviews for Volt Information

Good people to work with

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter
Current Employee - Technical Recruiter

I have been working at Volt Information full-time

Pros

Good co workers, ethical, healthy work environment

Cons

insurance premium is high, not much scope for promotion

reviews filtered by

The Titanic Sinking

Former Employee - Business Development Manager
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager

I worked at Volt Information full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As an internal employee the company was a good place to get your feet wet in the corporate atmosphere and make good networking connections. Volt was a giant company that placed professionals with low-mid level skill in the financial sector with a moderate degree of success.

Cons

The company is being sold and undergoing a great purging of talented people. Volt was mired in 90's business procedures, policies and technology (including a Cold Fusion database literally made in 95). Volt was trying to be everything to everyone instead of focusing on core competencies like its leaner boutique competition. As far as staffing agencies go Volt lost its edge by failing to update its corporate business model into the current hyper connected technology market. It probably didn't help that the company was primarily owned by the founding family and was run by the founder long into his senility. It also didn't help that Kochman was a finance professional trying to run a relationship business. Volt was a giant, unfortunately due to mismanagement and the inability to adapt Volt ran into dire financial circumstances during the recession and a restatement; Volt never recovered.

The ship is too far out at sea to turn around, but it is taking on water too fast to keep afloat. Sell Volt to the highest bidder.

Low Pay, Bad Company Leadership EVERYWHERE

Former Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Sourcing Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Volt Information full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Well it had a Seemingly relaxed environment, and snacks I suppose, discounts from Verizon.

Cons

Management wears a fake smile, but they will always point out things with consistent negativity. They have horrible strategic skill and will tell you to basically dig for water in the desert and then throw dirt in your face when *SURPRISE* there is none; when it is really THEIR fault because THEIR decision negatively effected profitability, which is in THEIR job description, and I lost MY job because of THEIR mistakes. One time they had me looking for a CPA for 45-50K a year, like REALLY?? A CPA can make that working independently part-time! They just needed a scapegoat to blame. They also kiss the behind of corporate like it's a god. Even if by telling them the truth about things could drastically improve Volt revenue. I look at that and say "when i'm finally in a leadership position, this is exactly what NOT to do".

Management may also be kind of offended if you have brains and know a thing or two they don't. Management will dismiss any feedback you give them regarding any ways they can improve business or probably anything else for that matter. However to their credit they at least try to be nice, even if they tell you a bunch of bull crap. Very few people last beyond 8 months their, many give out after 6, and even the people who have lasted over a year and do well admitted to me they look for other opportunities quite regularly.

Another problem: The regional VP who works there and the director have chosen to place the office in the desert, MILES out of the city, because it's "closer to home". While us EMPLOYEES who make far less money than they do have to drive an on average an hour or more to get there from the inner city!. What kind of competent leader does this?????

On top of that the work environment can be semi-hostile and management will always whisper secrets behind your back. Coworkers may or may not do the same, depends on whos working there at the time. I was being talked about behind my back and stuff in the beginning; but after a few months everybody saw I was a great guy and we became good colleagues.

After I left, for a month I was in paradise. It was such a relief that my nightmare at Volt was over.

Move the office to a more centralized location when the lease ends.

Take more a better strategic stance on accounts at that office. Give your employees a voice and stop harboring secrets.

When the numbers aren't where they are supposed to be take accountability and remember YOU "make decisions that effect business profitability" and the poor guy sitting in front of you has been busting his behind to make YOUR plan work.

There are newer employer reviews for Volt Information