Voltage Entertainment USA
www.voltage-ent.com San Francisco, CA 16 to 50 Employees

Toxic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Voltage Entertainment USA full-time for less than a year

ProsWorking hours are strictly 9 to 6, no more and no less. However...

Cons...management and HR put up quite a fuss if/when you need to work overtime, even if it's to meet an unreasonable deadline that they set and refuse to push back.

More pressing issues:

• The general disposition of the company and its lack of respect and trust for its employees. Senior management can often be observed staring off into space, rolling their eyes, mumbling under their breath in Japanese, or outright laughing in people's faces when being spoken to — even in formal meetings.

• Unresponsive, at times combative, HR. For example, when certain concerns about payroll were brought to their attention, HR said they knew the company practices were illegal, but they would continue with the practices per the CEO.

• Hostile work environment, including but not limited to gender and ethnic discrimination and harassment, that pits coworkers against one another and breeds distrust. Most disturbingly, management and HR have been implicit in many of these indiscretions.

• Unethical conduct and management-subordinate relationships, leading to overall morale-lowering perceptions of favoritism. Again, management and HR were aware / implicit.

• Failure to acknowledge the obvious differences between business in Japan and business in the States. The company further insulates itself by only consulting with Japanese companies (from ad agencies to law firms to IT).

• Outdated technology. Zero awareness of best practices and proper documentation in all departments.

• Endless contradictory practices: Voltage opened an American office and presumably hired Americans for our perspective and expertise concerning breaking into the American market — but completely ignores any input from us, even as our products fail miserably. We are told flat-out that our "opinions don't matter" — yet we are pulled into countless meetings in which we are directed to present... our opinions on how to improve the company and products. The CEO has final say over ALL decisions (even the most trivial) — but we are blamed for the failures that are a direct result of his decisions. Productive employees who care enough to point out issues and suggest solutions are reprimanded for being "negative" — while those who sit back quietly collecting a paycheck are rewarded with light workloads and lax deadlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo paraphrase another review — the only people okay with working at Voltage are the people who aren't actually working. They're pushing work off onto others and collecting a paycheck.

To be completely honest...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Voltage Entertainment USA full-time for less than a year

Pros: Transportation compensation. People are nice, on an individual basis. Cons: The people in this office are completely uncooperative. Most of them have never had a real job or worked in the game industry, therefore,… Advice to Senior Management: Re-evaluate hiring process. Invest in quality employees. Invest in quality products over quantity of products. Too many pointless meetings that go nowhere. Please send someone who understands the nuance… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Unfortunate

I have been working at Voltage Entertainment USA full-time

Pros: There are some great people who are very intelligent and great to work with. You can also really hear… Cons: It is evident that there was very little to no preparation done prior to the opening of this office as well as the industry and… Advice to Senior Management: Be more open to suggestions and listen to the various voices of the team more. Also remember that these are teams! It is vital to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Voltage Entertainment USA.

Worked for Voltage Entertainment USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Voltage Entertainment USA reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Voltage Entertainment USA employees.