Voltage Entertainment USA

www.voltage-ent.com
  www.voltage-ent.com
There are newer employer reviews for Voltage Entertainment USA

Toxic

I worked at Voltage Entertainment USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working hours are strictly 9 to 6, no more and no less. However...

Cons

...management and HR put up quite a fuss if/when you need to work overtime, even if it's to meet an unreasonable deadline that they set and refuse to push back.

More pressing issues:

• The general disposition of the company and its lack of respect and trust for its employees. Senior management can often be observed staring off into space, rolling their eyes, mumbling under their breath in Japanese, or outright laughing in people's faces when being spoken to — even in formal meetings.

• Unresponsive, at times combative, HR. For example, when certain concerns about payroll were brought to their attention, HR said they knew the company practices were illegal, but they would continue with the practices per the CEO.

• Hostile work environment, including but not limited to gender and ethnic discrimination and harassment, that pits coworkers against one another and breeds distrust. Most disturbingly, management and HR have been implicit in many of these indiscretions.

• Unethical conduct and management-subordinate relationships, leading to overall morale-lowering perceptions of favoritism. Again, management and HR were aware / implicit.

• Failure to acknowledge the obvious differences between business in Japan and business in the States. The company further insulates itself by only consulting with Japanese companies (from ad agencies to law firms to IT).

• Outdated technology. Zero awareness of best practices and proper documentation in all departments.

• Endless contradictory practices: Voltage opened an American office and presumably hired Americans for our perspective and expertise concerning breaking into the American market — but completely ignores any input from us, even as our products fail miserably. We are told flat-out that our "opinions don't matter" — yet we are pulled into countless meetings in which we are directed to present... our opinions on how to improve the company and products. The CEO has final say over ALL decisions (even the most trivial) — but we are blamed for the failures that are a direct result of his decisions. Productive employees who care enough to point out issues and suggest solutions are reprimanded for being "negative" — while those who sit back quietly collecting a paycheck are rewarded with light workloads and lax deadlines.

To paraphrase another review — the only people okay with working at Voltage are the people who aren't actually working. They're pushing work off onto others and collecting a paycheck.

11 Other Employee Reviews for Voltage Entertainment USA (View Most Recent)

To be completely honest...

I worked at Voltage Entertainment USA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Transportation compensation.
    People are nice, on an individual basis.

Cons

The people in this office are completely uncooperative. Most of them have never had a real job or worked in the game industry, therefore, all the horn tooting about so-called "expertise" are hyperbolic at best. The toxic atmosphere is intensified because those with the bad attitudes tend to influence one another and exponentially exacerbate the discontent felt throughout the office.
    Upper management, AKA, CEO and COO really do have micro-management issues. They really don't have any idea why the company is doing so poorly because they do not take time to investigate the foundation of the problem (lack of research, lack of quality hires, lack of leadership, etc etc.) However, they are not the only problem.
    Hiring process needs to be re-evaluated because they keep hiring problematic workers. Their unwillingness to fire people who contribute to the unhealthy environment only highlights the difference in culture between Japan and America.
    Jobs need to be more clearly defined. I understand being a start up that people are expected to do a little bit of everything, but the imbalance of work between people in the company is ridiculous.

Re-evaluate hiring process.
    Invest in quality employees.
    Invest in quality products over quantity of products.
    Too many pointless meetings that go nowhere.
    Please send someone who understands the nuance of the English language as a middle-manager, the current middle-managers do not understand how local employees mock them on a daily basis. It's honestly depressing to witness the abuse they go through sometimes.

Unhealthy Working Environment

I worked at Voltage Entertainment USA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

None, except for some talented individuals in the company who tried their best to make the place successful.

Cons

- Lack of technical knowledge and refusal to adapt to the latest technology.
    - Refusal to adapt to the American market even though that was their goal. No market research and they don't know who are their target audience.
    - No proper HR to handle some office disagreements and they get very defensive when issues were brought up to their attentions. HR also blatantly talked down on, mocking, and laughing at people (sometimes in front of the person) in Japanese forgetting that some of us actually understand the language.
    - There was no team spirit. Everyone was set up to go against each other.
    - No clear job descriptions and hierarchy. There was a lot of confusion on who should be reporting directly to whom.

Try to be more open minded to suggestions and advices. Be more updated with the recent technology and current industry. Learn how to manage your employee better

There are newer employer reviews for Voltage Entertainment USA