Volunteers of America

www.volunteersofamerica.org
  www.volunteersofamerica.org
There are newer employer reviews for Volunteers of America

Working with good hearts, low technology, & little outside-the-box thinking was hard for a more head, less heart type.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Anchorage, AK
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Volunteers of America

Pros

Great entry level work in the human services, mental health, chemical dependency counseling fields
Excellent benefits for full time employees incl. medical, dental, vision, life insurance & paid vacation and sick day accrual
Fulfilling work with nonprofit sector
Can become "tenured" in position and stay employed for a long time

Cons

Very low technology and behind the times approach to information management
Low competition and low room for advancement within agency
Resistant to change, outside-the-box thinking, alternative methods
Not excellent at planning ahead, organizing
HR complaints not handled well

Be ready to listen to your employees and actually confront difficult people. Deceit and sidestepping issues only leads to unrest, dissatisfaction and strife in the work place. Resolution is not achieved through avoidance.

132 Other Employee Reviews for Volunteers of America (View Most Recent)

A good staff and program being ruined by the incompetence, rudeness, lazy and punitive senior management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Volunteers of America

Pros

The core of an amazing concept is there. It is rewarding to work with the clients and co-workers.

Cons

Management: Rudeness, favoritism, secrecy, unethical, pompous, holier-than-thou, illogical, incompetent, uncommunicative, belittling, narcissistic, LAZY, pass-the-buck, deceptive, manipulative, clique, condescending, destructive, hurtful.

It is a very stressful, painful place to work because of the forced contact with management, and because of the confrontational nature of interactions. I am not stressed out and constantly upset because of the horrible situations of my clients, because of the devastating lack of resources, because of the callous treatment toward the homeless, because of the devastatingly difficult issues that they face such as addiction, mental illness, horrible abuse, lack of family, friends, resources, etc...this I can take in perspective and work with.

The attitude, approach and intimidation strategies of the management DOES stress me out though. I think that says a lot.

If you care, administer a comprehensive employee satisfaction survey that is completely anonymous. We need our jobs, especially in this economy. We also genuinely care about the company and it is painful to see what is happening, and either have our subtle hints ignored, or go unnoticed. This work environment is becoming more toxic by the day.

Semi satisfactory

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham Seabrook, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham Seabrook, MD

I have been working at Volunteers of America

Pros

Great project development opportunities and expansion

Cons

everything is consensus driven and decisions get put on a backburner

listen to staff