There are newer employer reviews for Volusion

Hard working sales role, great people, great fun, and a MGT team highly invested in their employees success.

Former Employee - Ecommerce Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Besides the opportunity to work at such a fun company with endless benefits and perks, the people, team members and my manager were the reasons coming to work each morning was not only easy, but fun. At times it can be tough, but such is life. The good news is that those of us working hard, we were always hitting our number and making great bonus money.
My advice for any one considering a position there is simple: be ready to work hard and be held accountable if you aren't hitting your number (thats just the nature of sales), but also be ready to work with a wonderful group of people led by managers willing to give you honest feedback, and give you what I believe is some of the best sales training I've received in my 5+year sales career. I'll take what I learned and continue to apply it throughout my career.

Awesome place to work, highly motivated people, great leadership.

Cons

The end of the month is stressful. Starting from the very head of the company, you can feel the pressure being put on you to sell more and more and more despite trying your best to sell just as hard all month long. There are so many moving pieces when it comes to lead ownership because of new policies always being rolled out by SR. Management and that gets frustrating and tough to keep up. I was with Volusion for just over one year, and the culture started out perfect, but it seemed that the higher ups quickly begin to lose focus of whats really important--the employees. I was fortunate to have a team leader who would always pull me aside and give his honest feedback and about much he appreciated my hard work and that went along way.

Put your focus on the hardest working employees in the company--THE SALES TEAM.
The shift began to shine on the support, product development team etc...They are the ones that need to be the rock stars.
Quit with changing lead ownership policies and making things so convoluted. With the amount of hours us at the top put in, and how profitable Volusion is becoming, the pay needs to increase. I recently read some of the reviews about the ecommerce sales position and some people said there is a lot of turnover but there really wasn't while I was there. My manager worked with me daily to keep me on board and we had a very trusting relationship. But those that did leave, left because other companies were simply offering more money with comparable perks at the office. I wish Volusion would've shaken up the bonus payouts for the entire sales team and start compensating us on a higher level. If Volusion wants to claim to be an industry leader in ecommerce, then they need to start paying their employees as an industry leading company would. It felt that the time for me to move had come but I hope for all my team members still there that Volusion decides to take that next step and take their pay grades to the next level.

99 Other Employee Reviews for Volusion (View Most Recent)

Positive, growing company filled with talented people

Current Employee - Visual Designer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Visual Designer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good perks, good culture, good work-life balance

Cons

Growing pains as company develops

Trust the employees you hire to make sound decisions.

Call Center Sales, questionable management

Former Employee - Ecommerce Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people who work at Volusion are by far the best part of being there.
    They also keep the place stocked with lots of snacks.
    As far as the role goes, this job would be acceptable for a recent grad to get some view into very low level of software sales and gain some personal skills.

Cons

Very high turnover because of the hostile environment that is created. In the past few months a medium sized sales floor lost around 10 people which isn't a huge loss to the company as they do not invest in training or retention.
    Goals are hardly attainable and when sales reps are in risk of not hitting goal the answer to improve is working longer hours instead of coaching. So in the end you will be working around 60 hours for a $500 bonus. The managers they hire are ill experienced and are commonly seen surfing the web or playing on their phones and rarely seen doing one on ones, or even more rare.... having a team meeting.
    Also, reps are penalized for cancellations that are out of their control which creates a nasty cycle of having to sell to highly unqualified people at a severe discount because in addition to cancels the lead quality is so poor.

Take a look at what mid level management is doing.
    Also, be consistent with the Ecom reps. In the morning everyone will be harassed about design opps, then next minute everybody is worried about talk time, and then the in the afternoon management will start sweating about the low call numbers due to talk time, and then follow ups. Next the priority is telling all customers that the on board session will only be ONE hour. Pick your angle. It looks a mess.
    Highlight people who not only work 80hrs a week, but sell well.
    Treat employees like adults. Many times reps have been badgered about being in the restroom too long, taking their lunch break, or not being on the phone for 5 minutes because they needed to respond to emails.

There are newer employer reviews for Volusion