Volusion

www.volusion.com
  www.volusion.com
There are newer employer reviews for Volusion

Where hard work still pays off.

Current Employee - Business Development in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Business Development in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I started in the support department and in less than two years have been promoted twice and now hold a position in our corporate office. This, of course, is not the case for every employee, but I can say without a doubt hard work gets noticed here. Volusion values their employees and does what it can to provide a clear path to success. The free food, game rooms and gym are appreciated, but it is this company's culture, spirit and work ethic that keep me walking in the front door.

Cons

Volusion is still in that awkward stage between start-up and going public. While I find working for a company in this stage an opportunity of a lifetime, I can see why someone else would not. It often scares away great employees who need more stability. That said, I've not worked for a company where so many former employees have returned.

Solicit feedback from your employees (especially customer-facing) more often on company policies, software features and services. The people on the front line aren't all cynical.

99 Other Employee Reviews for Volusion (View Most Recent)

Long hours, talk time & micro managing

Current Employee - Ecommerce Sales Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Ecommerce Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun peeps and Great food
    good location
    people and culture are nice

Cons

Long hours, weekends, talk time really high, constant micro management from director, PTO limited, avg. healthcare, it's all about Mozu, can be miserable at times :(

Work life balance, Hire experienced sales leaders not kids, Train better

Unprofessional - Not a place for Computer Science Majors - You're Either Management or Nobody

Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Real Perks - Free Coffee, Ice Cream, Fitness Equipment, Game Tables.

Young, pleasant/cheerful/friendly environment.

In a market that has potential (eCommerce)

Company Values (on paper)

Cons

In a nutshell: **There is no value of employee potential** No attempt to develop employees and guide/drive them to the best of their abilities; the focus becomes merely on what can be produced.

If you ever cross your manager you will get fired.

No flexible work arrangements. No Privacy - completely open with a 4'x2' desk. It's tough to have your headphones on for hours a day...

Software development bonus structure is abysmal - it is tiny a carrot on a stick; expect to work a considerable amount of extra time to consistently not meet the projected percentage each quarter.

Software development department forcibly has no lighting - If you get a walk through the facilities you will see most of the overhead lights off. Any attempt to have a safe level of lighting will be met with criticism and fierce opposition.

The software development department is dominated by people that learned to program or read the most current agile/architecture design patterns and are now software engineering leaders. The latest JavaScript framework, Document Database, or Service Bus gets added because it's all the rage.

Adding to the unprofessionalism - Employees are encouraged to write positive (not objective) reviews here on Glassdoor.

Be careful never to become an individual contributor or you will get canned.

There are newer employer reviews for Volusion