Volvo

Multiple Headquarters

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Hagerstown, MD
Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Volvo

Pros

I really like the way Volvo executed projects. There was always an avenue to approach upper management. I liked the way they handled difficult situations.

Cons

Volvo bought out Mack Trucks Inc. Therefore I had two headquarters to report and recieve requests. There seemed to be an internal competition as to who knew the best way. I was caught in the middle of the conflict.

The mainframe systems at my location were being phased out. I did not see any opportunity for the future. I really liked Volvo alot, but there should have been an avenue for me to pursue with them.

86 Other Employee Reviews for Volvo (View Most Recent)

Antiquated workplace

I have been working at Volvo

Pros

Big global corporation, brand name, relavtively stable job

Cons

Cube farm culture, Middle level mangers are directionless, Most of the challenging engineering work is handled in Sweden

Introduce open office culture and more flexible timings/vacation schedule for work/life balance. Enhance engineering capability in North America to serve the local market better

Excellent company to work for

I have been working at Volvo

Pros

Great medical and dental benefits and one of the last companies to offer cash pension plan.
    Takes care of employees, does not lay off employees at the slightest whim and fancy.
    Management supports your ideas and information flows freely between management and employees.
    Personal business plan for employees - excellent way of stating actionable goals to achieve in a year and monitoring them.

Cons

Slowest decision making process and after spending countless weeks discussing it in "workshops".
    Senior management lacks a backbone to take tough decisions.
    Decisions made in Sweden sometime absolutely make no sense.

management in Sweden: There are awesome guys working in NA. Listen to them so that they feel that thier opinion is being heard.

There are newer employer reviews for Volvo