There are newer employer reviews for Von Maur

Don't expect to be promoted if you are more qualified then your upper management.

Former Employee - Department Manager
Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at Von Maur

Pros

one weekend off per month
20% employee discount
decent hourly wage
clean and organized retail environment
good benefits
1% commission for all departments, shoes 8%

Cons

While working at Von Maur I witnessed countless promotion declines due to the fact that the employee interviewing for a promotion was simply more qualified, skilled and competent than the the current manager. Senior managers are scared for their jobs and are only willing to promote those with the hightest "brown nose" skills. It happened to me and many of my co-workers. Ladies, I hope you like wearing skirts and pantyhose because it is a dress code requirement. If you are a go-getter with outstanding customer service and merchandising skills apply with a company who embrases talent and isn't scared of it.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are promoting the most talented, competent individuals with a proven track record. You have lost more wonderful canidates because senior managers are scared about the talent of the up and coming leaders. Since leaving Von Maur I have been promoted four times with my current fortune 500 retail employer and have been awared four merit increases.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good place to work if looking for retail

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Von Maur

Pros

Great benefits. Ability to move up quickly if upper management takes to you well. Managers are not salaried which is a huge benefit during holiday season. They pay time and a half on Sundays and are closed all holidays which most retailers are not.

Cons

There can be some favoritism when it comes to promotions. Which can either work strongly in your favor or strongly against you. They are sticklers for being fair when it comes to schedules which can make it difficult to change your schedule and get more than one weekend off a month. Obviously it's retail and nights and weekends are required.

Advice to Management

To be more accommodating to peoples need for weekends off during non holiday time. Give full time employees additional weekends off during non holiday.

2. Great company with friendly, family-oriented atmosphere!

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Davenport, IA

I have been working at Von Maur part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee support, store closed on major holidays (with paid off-time!), clearly communicated expectations and rules, excellent customer service standards

Cons

Retail hours, only one weekend off per month