There are newer employer reviews for Von Maur

Don't expect to be promoted if you are more qualified then your upper management.

Former Employee - Department Manager
Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at Von Maur

Pros

one weekend off per month
20% employee discount
decent hourly wage
clean and organized retail environment
good benefits
1% commission for all departments, shoes 8%

Cons

While working at Von Maur I witnessed countless promotion declines due to the fact that the employee interviewing for a promotion was simply more qualified, skilled and competent than the the current manager. Senior managers are scared for their jobs and are only willing to promote those with the hightest "brown nose" skills. It happened to me and many of my co-workers. Ladies, I hope you like wearing skirts and pantyhose because it is a dress code requirement. If you are a go-getter with outstanding customer service and merchandising skills apply with a company who embrases talent and isn't scared of it.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are promoting the most talented, competent individuals with a proven track record. You have lost more wonderful canidates because senior managers are scared about the talent of the up and coming leaders. Since leaving Von Maur I have been promoted four times with my current fortune 500 retail employer and have been awared four merit increases.

reviews filtered by

Good place to work if looking for retail

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Von Maur

Pros

Great benefits. Ability to move up quickly if upper management takes to you well. Managers are not salaried which is a huge benefit during holiday season. They pay time and a half on Sundays and are closed all holidays which most retailers are not.

Cons

There can be some favoritism when it comes to promotions. Which can either work strongly in your favor or strongly against you. They are sticklers for being fair when it comes to schedules which can make it difficult to change your schedule and get more than one weekend off a month. Obviously it's retail and nights and weekends are required.

Advice to Management

To be more accommodating to peoples need for weekends off during non holiday time. Give full time employees additional weekends off during non holiday.

Department Manager

Current Employee - Department Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Von Maur full-time

Pros

Time and a half every Sunday. You pick any weekend you want off per month. Closed 4th of July, Easter, and labor day

Cons

I think there high turnover sends an unwelcoming feeling. You are never going to get a decent raise once you are locked in you pay doesn't change too much. No bonuses for making your department numbers at the end of the year.

Advice to Management

Give your department managers the opportunity to hire employees. Give them bonuses for making plan. Rethink your annual raise amounts.