Von Maur
www.vonmaur.com Davenport, IA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Don't expect to be promoted if you are more qualified then your upper management.

Department Manager (Former Employee)

Prosone weekend off per month
20% employee discount
decent hourly wage
clean and organized retail environment
good benefits
1% commission for all departments, shoes 8%

ConsWhile working at Von Maur I witnessed countless promotion declines due to the fact that the employee interviewing for a promotion was simply more qualified, skilled and competent than the the current manager. Senior managers are scared for their jobs and are only willing to promote those with the hightest "brown nose" skills. It happened to me and many of my co-workers. Ladies, I hope you like wearing skirts and pantyhose because it is a dress code requirement. If you are a go-getter with outstanding customer service and merchandising skills apply with a company who embrases talent and isn't scared of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure you are promoting the most talented, competent individuals with a proven track record. You have lost more wonderful canidates because senior managers are scared about the talent of the up and coming leaders. Since leaving Von Maur I have been promoted four times with my current fortune 500 retail employer and have been awared four merit increases.

Good place to work if looking for retail

Department Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Von Maur

Pros: Great benefits. Ability to move up quickly if upper management takes to you well. Managers are not salaried which is a huge… Cons: There can be some favoritism when it comes to promotions. Which can either work strongly in your favor or strongly against you. They are sticklers… Advice to Senior Management: To be more accommodating to peoples need for weekends off during non… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

A great company, but their policies are stuck in the 1950's.

Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Moline, IL

I have been working at Von Maur part-time for less than a year

Pros: Von Maur is a beautiful store, with good base pay and a commission that adds up… Cons: Dress code is stuck in decades past. Management changes often, most of them stick around for less than a year or two, using Von Maur… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Von Maur.

Worked for Von Maur? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Von Maur reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Von Maur CEO James D. von Maur. All reviews posted anonymously by Von Maur employees.