There are newer employer reviews for Von Maur

GET RID OF TESS

Current Employee - Salesfloor
Current Employee - Salesfloor

I have been working at Von Maur

Pros

Coworkers are so nice, paid holidays, time and a half on Sundays, insurance benefits, discount, nice atmosphere, nice break room.

Cons

Terrible schedules with "TESS". Yes,it's retail, but 5 hours before a lunch break? very typical schedule is come in at 9am, go to lunch at 2pm. I ate breakfast at 7:30. That's 6 1/2 hours without eating! Holy Cow, some of my coworkers aren't breakfast eaters. Working until 6pm instead of 5pm? Working 9 days in a row? There is no work-life balance now that a computer does schedules. Also, some people get preferential treatment. And, sadly, we can no longer go to lunch with coworkers in same department because lunch/dinner breaks are always staggered.When you get off at 6pm, and it takes 30 minutes to get home, and then you have to cook for your family, it's 7:30 before you sit down to eat, and your feet are killing you...just change it back to 5pm already, please!!!!! Besides, part-time peaople don't want to come in for 3 hours (6-9pm) either!

Please, please get rid of TESS. We are not getting used to it. The fact that it occasionally, sporadically gives us a Saturday off does not compensate for all of its shortcomings and how miserable it is making those of us who used to like working for Von Maur. It is supposed to increase productivity, how about this? Treat us like human beings, not robots. When we are miserable because we haven't eaten for 6 hours, or have worked 9 days in a row, or some in the department are not scheduled for a single closing shift while we are scheduled for three, we will not be productive! We will be looking for new jobs.

268 Other Employee Reviews for Von Maur (View Most Recent)

It is What It is...

Former Employee - Department Manager
    Former Employee - Department Manager

I worked at Von Maur

Pros

-Good Hours For Retail. (No special hours for the Holiday except for an extra hour on Sunday.)
    -Excellent Benifits
    -Pay is fair for a retail job.

Cons

-Poor job at implementing new programs.
    -Very poor upper store management. (I wouldn't have hired the last store manager I worked under to clean the washrooms.).
    -Will not support an associate in a dispute with a customer...even if it is someone with more than a proven track record.
    -Long time department managers should have imput in hiring for their department.

-Put people of experience in upper store management.
    -It may be time to change the company philosophy...how about advertising?
    -Stand behind your longtime employees .

An overall good place to work

I have been working at Von Maur

Pros

Comparatively in retail, it's a very good working environment. Rules are fair and the customers are the main focus of the business.

Cons

Promotions are more often based on politics rather than ability. There are some problems with how new programs get implemented.

Be more fair in promotions.

There are newer employer reviews for Von Maur