Great experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Holmdel, NJ
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Holmdel, NJ

I worked at Vonage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

$100/month meal allowance, access to management, flexibility, freedom to develop what I thought was necessary, my manager was not the micro-management type but was available when I needed him to be

Cons

Advancement was slow, upper management was short-sighted, far too political for my taste, SharePoint was brought in and in-house application development was outsourced

Advice to Management

Abandon SharePoint and keep development in-house. You had a lot of talented managers and developers but many have been eliminated due to "position elimination". I have kept in touch with many former co-workers and find that a considerable number of the best people have moved on or are looking to. You need to stop looking at the bottom line and get back the way things were in 2006 thru 2008.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Everyone needs a clear message

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holmdel, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holmdel, NJ

I have been working at Vonage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

$100/mon for food in their cafe Clean facility Medical is a decent price and 401k is awesome. Match up to $6000

Cons

Cafe food is horrible. Management does not have a clear understanding how to run a business. Many projects have extreme timelines with no thought about consequences. The message i here is, do what i told you then we will worry about it later. Let's just get it out as quick as possible. As for career growth, the only growth is if you come in from the outside, get a better titled then jump ship. Internal growth is too tough. You get the chance to work for another department off the phones for 6 months then you are sent back, sometimes with no goals and then managed out.

Advice to Management

Take you time, think things out and be thorough. Good ideas take time to brew.

Completely dysfunctional. Management is confused from the top down.

Current Employee - Software Developer III in Holmdel, NJ
    Current Employee - Software Developer III in Holmdel, NJ

I have been working at Vonage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great facility, $100 in money towards food and gym. Most of the people are great to work with and share similar dissatisfaction with the way they are managed.

Cons

Very bureaucratic for such a small development shop. So many 'departments' created that cause infighting and delay after delay during the project cycle. All that matters to these departments is the politics. So long as each department can collect supporting metrics to point the finger elsewhere, they are happy. It's rare to see honest teamwork.

Advice to Management

Streamline the organization. A flatter org chart would give everyone more influence and encourage people to work together instead of hiding in their silos behind metrics.