There are newer employer reviews for W.B. Mason

Was great, now it's terrible.

Current Employee - Driver in East Windsor, CT
Current Employee - Driver in East Windsor, CT

I have been working at W.B. Mason

Pros

Great employees, great benefits, decent pay.

Cons

Terrible management, untrustworthy managers, not listening to drivers, samedays are a waste of time, no respect, can't take lunch breaks, unable to voice an opinion without fear of retaliation.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees!! Treat them with respect, stop telling lies, and make people feel appreciated! Give bonuses to drivers. Show your face more and hold the branch manager responsible for his actions.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Extreme lack of professionalism

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at W.B. Mason

Pros

-Flexible schedule. -Veteran reps willing to help if you ask. -Pretty good benefits. -Strong portfolio of products to sell

Cons

-Management will flip accts behind your back -Seem to try to hamper your success if they do not like you -Major lack of communication, honesty, transparency in regards to management (weak/inexperienced) -Favoritism -People hung up on titles -Not interested in developing employee professionally.

Advice to Management

From what I have experienced/seen (at company events/meetings) and heard from other employees this type of behavior and conduct I listed above is the norm across all branches. I certainly would NEVER recommend anyone to work here because I don't believe that things will ever change. That is partly because of the number of people I have seen leave since I have been there and what other long-time employees have told me. I do think that executive management is taking the company in a positive direction; now whether or not that direction will continue to yield success is dependent on other factors (i.e. industry trends & competition). The bigger problem for me is the way branches (at least the one I was at) are run. Yes numbers might be strong (but that is thanks to reps --NOT management). Weak and inexperienced managers lead to low employee morale, high turnover, lack of communication, honesty, transparency; and questionable business practices (i.e. stealing reps accounts and then not even having the respect to tell them). The only advice I really have for management from a business perspective is they need to be more PRO-active instead RE-active, that way programs/ideas are not rushed out without employees having a complete understanding or clear plan to execute it.

Fantastic sales pitch but management's total lack of respect for employees failed to deliver.

Former Employee - Distribution in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Distribution in Boston, MA

I worked at W.B. Mason

Pros

I worked alongside of some very bright and hardworking people: the line workers and supervisors who got the job done regardless of management's latest whim. It was a tough environment not knowing who would be let go next or when, but the folks who showed up everyday determined to do their best made it all worth it.

Cons

Management had good ideas, unfortunately their lack of planning skills never allowed one project to be completed before the next must-have project was begun and no resources remained to complete the first. Kind of like corporate ADHD. It appeared the more senior employees were often "laid off" only to be replaced with a recent Stonehill grad or friend of the owner's younger brother exactly 91 days later. Saving on payroll is nice but the resulting overall lack of experience and skills combined with poor mangement and zero communication is why Masons is still so far behind the competition.

Advice to Management

Leo, forget that Chris is your brother and take an honest look at morale and the turnover of your managers. Branch managers, CFO, controller, warehouse managers, sales managers, IT managers - you're losing your most valuable assets at an alarming rate, and this when the job market is tight.