I am proud of the products we make and the incredible energy and commitment that my fellow associates put into them.

Current Employee - Corporate Services  in  Newark, DE
Current Employee - Corporate Services in Newark, DE

I have been working at W.L. Gore

Pros

If you are up for the challenge, opportunities for growth are always there. Cool science abounds in the products that Gore makes. Freedom and flexibility make working at Gore more rewarding. Fellow associates quickly become your best friends. Leadership associates really do try to be fair with their teams and maintain a great working environment.

Cons

If you have to be told what to do everyday, then this isn't the company for you. If you aren't comfortable with speaking up and expressing thoughts and opinions, then this isn't the company for you.

Continue to get out and walk around the building to find out what associates are working on. Leadership meetings can easily consume one's schedule and leave no time for it. Most associates love to talk about what they are doing and why it matters to the enterprise.

Other Reviews for W.L. Gore

Unpleasant experience.

Former Employee - Clinical Study Manager  in  Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Clinical Study Manager in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore

Pros

They did offer me more money than I was previously making. But my previous salary was below industry standards.

Cons

I do not recommend working for this company. The "culture" is dysfunctional and oppressive. There is no way to move up and they don't give raises after your first year. The other "associates" score you and this causes a lot of intimidation. They don't have training and I didn't learn much I could take with me to the next place.
    Comments on Flagstaff: It is a place to go on vacation. There are no other places to work if you quit.

Spend the $ you pay relocating people on hiring competent leadership instead. This way everyone's time isn't wasted and your turnover will be less.

Regrettably disappointing

Current Employee - Research Scientist  in  Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at W.L. Gore

Pros

Flagstaff can be a wonderful place to live, and is a unique setting for a medical device company. If you enjoy the outdoors, this can be a great place to settle down. The company is relatively flexible with regard to the times that you come and go from work, and I believe that they try to accommodate a good work-life balance; however, for a number of reasons that may be changing. The company manages to pull in a number of highly qualified associates who genuinely believe in the work that they do, and the products that they finally develop and manufacture reflect that fact. As a privately held company, they are not as concerned with quarterly profits as some of the publicly-traded companies that I have worked for, and they do seem to have a long-term focus to profit margins.

Cons

At least in Flagstaff, the "Culture" that is well-known to W. L. Gore & Associates (and those outside of the company) is an absolute sham. As Flagstaff is a fairly isolated location, the place does feel quite like the show "Survivor", and like the show, the strongest are seen as a threat (and every effort is made to dispense of them accordingly by their peers). Combine the fact of below-national median pay rates in a locale that is well above the median for cost of living, with little opportunity for advancement due to the "lattice structure" of corporate governance, and you should be left with a formula for long-term failure. The pay really is dismal, despite the company's contention that they benchmark.

Fortunately for the company, they are able to attract young professionals (fresh out of school) with lots of potential and they take advantage of it for as long as they can...until the sharpest of the bunch realize that they can go to work for another comparable company and make substantially more, with the potential for further advancement. What are we left with? Stagnant leadership in search of yes-men/women. Career advancements are reserved for those who play the political game best, and align well with insecure, inadequate leadership. I worry for the future of the medical division...the only hope is that we continue to get two to three good years out of the most promising new hires, before they leave to become the best and brightest of our competition. This place is a training ground for our competition because the company is too cheap to reward good work.

Advice to new hire candidates: negotiate well before coming in, as you will see little from there on, despite your best efforts.

If you're going to price our products at the top end of the spectrum, you might consider paying the teams responsible for those products accordingly. I would gladly trade all of the catered lunch meetings for a competitive pay rate. You are going to continue to lose the hardest working associates until you give them a reason to stay. Please don't make this a short-term layover for the people that hold the potential to make this company competitive. The lure of Flagstaff only holds its sway for so long, particularly if you cannot afford to live here despite a professional career. At some point in time, the Gore family trust fund kids are going to wonder why the money isn't coming in like it used to.

There are newer employer reviews for W.L. Gore.

Worked for W.L. Gore? Contribute to the Community!