W.L. Gore

www.gore.com
  www.gore.com
There are newer employer reviews for W.L. Gore

I am proud of the products we make and the incredible energy and commitment that my fellow associates put into them.

Current Employee - Corporate Services in Newark, DE
Current Employee - Corporate Services in Newark, DE

I have been working at W.L. Gore

Pros

If you are up for the challenge, opportunities for growth are always there. Cool science abounds in the products that Gore makes. Freedom and flexibility make working at Gore more rewarding. Fellow associates quickly become your best friends. Leadership associates really do try to be fair with their teams and maintain a great working environment.

Cons

If you have to be told what to do everyday, then this isn't the company for you. If you aren't comfortable with speaking up and expressing thoughts and opinions, then this isn't the company for you.

Continue to get out and walk around the building to find out what associates are working on. Leadership meetings can easily consume one's schedule and leave no time for it. Most associates love to talk about what they are doing and why it matters to the enterprise.

231 Other Employee Reviews for W.L. Gore (View Most Recent)

Unpleasant experience.

Former Employee - Clinical Study Manager in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Clinical Study Manager in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore

Pros

They did offer me more money than I was previously making. But my previous salary was below industry standards.

Cons

I do not recommend working for this company. The "culture" is dysfunctional and oppressive. There is no way to move up and they don't give raises after your first year. The other "associates" score you and this causes a lot of intimidation. They don't have training and I didn't learn much I could take with me to the next place.
    Comments on Flagstaff: It is a place to go on vacation. There are no other places to work if you quit.

Spend the $ you pay relocating people on hiring competent leadership instead. This way everyone's time isn't wasted and your turnover will be less.

Limited Career Path but good work-life balance

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Elkton, MD
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Elkton, MD

I have been working at W.L. Gore

Pros

Gore has excellent benefits and an ASOP plan (Associate Stock Plan). All Associates (employees) are given company stock (a fixed percent of your salary). This replaces a pension plan. During good financial years, profit sharing can result in an 2-3%. If you are in Sales or in Technology, there is tremendous flexibility, excellent work-life balance and low output expectations.

Cons

Salaries and raises are poor. Despite record setting profitability, only a very small percentage of people get raises. If you are an experienced and come in at a competitive wage, do not expect to receive a raise for quite a few years (even with a very high contribution) as you are being paid much higher than your peers (and you will be reminded of this). Since there are no promotions in this flat organization, there is no opportunity to get both an annual raise and a promotional bump. There is also compensation imbalance between higher compensated Europeans and USA Associates.

There is a tremendous amount of politics at the Leadership level. Most Leaders have not visited customers in years and spend their time lobbying each other or creating camps of supportive "like-thinking" alliances. This creates cliques of detached leaders who still feel an obligation to be opinionated and "leaderly". This self assured, sheltered, withdrawn management style results in a outbreak of Leadership that is "frequently wrong, but, never in doubt". Many resist making risky decisions, instead deferring the risk to others at a "lower level" who will take the fall if the decision results in political fallout or less than expected financial output.

ELT depends too much on the Divisional Leadership Teams for information (like a hierarchy). They need to reach deeper and around the hierarchy that has emerged between ELT and the product teams. Many Leaders did not emerge through followership, they have been appointed. Commitments are made for many associates, they no longer have freedom to make their own. These fundamental cultural pillars need to be re-energized and repaired.

There are newer employer reviews for W.L. Gore