Great place to work, excellent working environment

Former Employee - Intern  in  Elkton, MD
Former Employee - Intern in Elkton, MD

I worked at W.L. Gore as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is helpful and friendly. Give interns real projects to work on. Lots of things like programs for the interns to do throughout the summer.

Cons

None unless you need hierarchical organization in your life.

Other Reviews for W.L. Gore

Engineering Internship

Former Employee - Process Engineer  in  Elkton, MD
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Elkton, MD

I worked at W.L. Gore as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Provided housing, nice people to work with.

Cons

Don't expect a full time offer. Their philosophy of doing a "good job" over the summer and get an offer later is wrong.

Engineer, medical

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work life balance good.
    Stock award of 15% per year.
    Not publically held.
    Opportunity to move within company to find best fit.

Cons

Agree with many others on the site: Politics, mysterious firings, culture ideology is great but not well practiced in Flagstaff, experienced individuals given little respect, salary increases are 3% if you are lucky. See rest below.

Comments on MPD culture by an experienced professional brought from outside:

Most comments on the site www.glassdoor.com are bound to be somewhat negative – unhappy folks are much more likely to vent. But these comments serve as a good balance to the picture that the company paints internally. I started with Gore 8 years ago; 5 in another division and 3 in medical products, and I have noticed some striking shortfalls regarding the practice of the company culture within medical. Most notably, that of “the belief in the individual” for associates that enter as seasoned successful professionals. Employee satisfaction surveys are, in general, favorable but the “my contributions are valued” category is consistently lagging. I would assert that digging into the details of the data one would find entry-level and longtime medical associates buoy up the score relative to that recorded by professionals brought in from outside. Anecdotally, I believe retention of these folks is a problem; I have in my short time within medical, spoken with an alarming number of ex and current associates who are dealing with this or have left because of it. These are people who are hired for their expertise but then marginalized. To HR’s credit, there appears to be awareness as evidenced by the coining of terms like “micro-inequities” and projects aimed at re-vamping the C&C process. This is great, but the hardest step in addressing micro-inequities is getting people who, without malice, do it quite unintentionally. Website comments describing the leadership culture use terms like, “high school”, “good old boys network”, and “popularity contest”. I can only guess if this is objective commentary but I feel there is a good amount of truth here. I can only relate my experience thus far - I’m a 20 year professional with 2 patents and a history of working for good companies. Inside my first year at Gore, colleagues in leadership meetings informed me that I was being to be groomed for a leadership role. In the next 2 years I presented at multiple technical meetings in the US and Europe and worked with US and German scientists on high visibility projects. Gore sent me to multiple external training conferences. This is belief in the individual – I felt that I was growing professionally and consequently, my attitude and quality of work were at their best. My training upon moving to medical was to read dozens of quality system documents and to work in manufacturing. The latter is totally reasonable but the investment in me ended there. Even integral processes within my manufacturing unit are off limits – I am told it is “need to know”. Seriously?!! This would never happen in the eastern cluster. I came on with the understanding that I had much to learn in the new division and went about this the best I could. I am strong at finding opportunities to improve existing processes and develop core understanding; this is how I found commitments. I did this without any manufacturing line or product line responsibilities given, made available, or suggested. Unfortunately my concept of what is important for a mature professional (technical knowledge and problem solving) is valued less than basic line maintenance. I am rigorously pursuing a better fit. Currently, I wait for the latest news from the CC process which has put me on probation the last two years; this is a 180 from my start with Gore; have I changed that much? I’d love to meet to discuss and learn more about HR’s challenges but I don’t believe I can do this without adversely affecting my job standing because, although I want this note to be constructive, dissenters here are slapped with a “does not fit the culture” label. My hope in writing is that this feedback can give a push to programs which would help me and future associates have an easier time assimilating to medical. I would love to feel energized about Gore again as I did in my earlier days.

There are newer employer reviews for W.L. Gore.

Worked for W.L. Gore? Contribute to the Community!