Unmatched company

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at W.L. Gore as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Unbeatable work/life balance; best coworkers you'll ever work with

Cons

Elkton, MD is a bit of a dud of a town for young employees.

Other Employee Reviews for W.L. Gore

The Culture and Work Ethics in Gore are Changing!

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Elkton, MD
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Elkton, MD

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If working with groups that practice the Gore culture as it was intended, it can be a fulfilling place to work. The basic principles are Fairness, Freedom, Commitment, and Waterline ("we are all in the same boat"). There are great capabilities with fluoropolymers in Gore and when products are made commercial, Gore seriously backs each product with its reputation.

Cons

The ranking system has evolved into a popularity contest. Many lifetime friends get together to rank others within a group, and it often perceived that the best way to look better is to make others look bad. It is a real life Survivor, and these alliances have existed for many years. Married couples are not allowed to rank each other, and this should be the same for these lifetime alliances. Leadership is evolving into a dictatorship (specific mainly to my group?). I was deeply involved in the 3 (out of 4) most exciting and greatest opportunities for Gore. When my recently promoted leader saw these opportunities that I (and other coworkers) developed, to satisfy his ego he 1) Demanded control of the biggest opportunity and to give it to one of his friends; 2) greatly hindered and forced my work to stop for the #2 biggest opportunity; and 3) when I tried to transfer out of the group and started contributing greatly to the #4 biggest opportunity, he quickly started the process for my separation... At that time, I firmly thought the culture would be fair and practice freedom, but I had already observed disservice with other innovative associates. HR was told what to do by leadership, without voice from associates, and my only option was to leave Gore. I also believed that higher leadership would notice that my contributions to the biggest opportunities in Gore was not by chance, but they did not recognize the innovations and capabilities that they were abandoning. To clarify, not all of Gore may be like this. The people that I worked with had been with each other for 20 - 25 years, and an outsider to the group has never been welcome. There is a certain dominating and ominous philosophy within this group that is unappealing to most. However my willingness to accept even the most difficult challenges, as well as the probability for success in several of the key corporate projects kept me associated with this group for too long. Not sure of the reasons for the actions within this group, be it professional jealousy or intimidation from the success on top projects, but my separation was mutual, and I lost respect for Gore and my group's unethical practices.

Advice to Management

Biggest problem is that HR is ranked by leadership, and leadership can manipulate the system so that the non-leadership associates do not have the proper representation that founder Bill Gore intended. This needs to change first, before associates can be treated fairly. HR should be ranked by associates, and not by leadership! Ranking system needs an overhaul. Lifelong friends and alliances are not fair nor ethical for newcomers who have new ideas to offer and alternatives to the status quo. Break up these alliances, move associates around after a couple years, and rethink the rankings! Bill Gore never intended that this system be a popularity contest or be manipulated as it is being used today!

2. Great place to work and grow

Former Intern - Intern in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Intern - Intern in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The Culture is the key point

Cons

Not working there presently is the worst

Advice to Management

None