There are newer employer reviews for W.L. Gore

Great company for a long career

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Elkton, MD
Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Elkton, MD

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful company culture that engages you and lets you contribute your best. Enterprise has a strong technology base and leverages for long term results.

Cons

Not a great place for the individual that needs a lot of direction unless directly involved in making the products. There is a great diversity of management styles throughout the organization and that can be difficult to navigate for some.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, Retirement, Etc.) are great, some of the best I've encountered. * Not a "workaholic" culture; leaders seem to understand that people have families and lives outside of work. You are not expected to work insane hours. * New campus in Phoenix is a well-designed, visually inspiring work environment.

Cons

* Benefits are great (as noted), but wages are very low compared to similar jobs at other companies. Raises are typically less than 3% per year. The only way to do better is to move into "leadership," (managment) or change "commitments" (jobs). * Also as noted, the company respects work-life balance, but concepts such as telecommuting, job sharing and flexible scheduling are not practiced or encouraged. This is one of those places where the bosses apparently believe that you aren't working unless they can see you at your desk. Whatever schedule or hours your leader works, you will be expected to work the same schedule. * The company does not use or embrace social media, but IT monitors employee use of Facebook, Twitter, etc. and will report to leadership and HR anything they feel is "inappropriate." In fact I'd go so far as to say if you work for Gore, you probably should not be on social media. At the very least, do not tell anyone where you work, or talk about work in any way. * The company is freakishly obsessed with security. I have worked for defense contractors that were less paranoid. Outsiders are not allowed in any plant without a security escort, and that includes associate family members, even kids. Cameras are everywhere and employees not only have to badge in and out of buildings, but often must flash badges to move within buildings as well. During orientation, we were told we should not even discuss our work with our families when out in public, if we could help it. Very "Big Brother." * The company is almost cultish about it's vaunted "culture," especially long-time "associates" (the Gore term for employees.) But actually explaining the culture or putting it into practice is another story. From my experience, it seems the culture only applies to engineers, researchers, and people in manufacturing. No one seems able to explain how the "culture" is supposed to work or be applied in other areas, such as HR, finance or support functions. As others have noted, Gore associates, especially "lifers" (and there are many in this company) will not accept any criticism or their "culture," nor will they even consider that employees who come in with experience from other companies, might actually have good ideas or better ways of doing things. It the "Gore way" or the highway. The prevailing attitude seems to be "love it or leave it." * The company's "contribution and compensation" system, which determines yearly raises and can be the only thing resembling a "performance review," that some employees get, is a joke. The idea is that it provides employees with a "360-degree picture" of how they are doing and how they contribute to their teams. In an ideal world, employees would be evaluated strictly based on the work they do. In reality, it is little more than an adult version of the 8th grade slambook. Employees can and do evaluate other employees based on whether they are friends, or not. If your teammates do not like you as a person, it does not matter how hard you work. You will be voted "the weakest link" on your team, and in the worst-case scenario, you will be invited into the bosses' office to discuss your "future in the enterprise" with HR present. If you go to work for Gore, try to make friends with everyone on your team, or you will have no future with the company. If your teammates do not like you personally, watch your back.

Advice to Management

* It's the 21st century, not the 1950s. Accept that Gore is no longer a few people working out of a garage. It is a very large, highly complex corporation, larger than some on the Fortune 500. Like all organisms, the "Gore culture" must evolve and change, or it will die. Let your associates, especially those with experience in other companies, help you make that happen. * It is possible that the medical device industry, with its many layers of rigid government oversight and regulation, is simply not compatible with the "freedom" and "empowerment" the "Gore culture" is supposed to provide. If the "culture" cannot be adapted to fit this reality, the only way to save the "culture" may be to sell spin off the medical products division into it's own company. * Raise wages. You will not continue to attract the people you need to attract if you continue to lowball them. * Scrap the C&C process. Replace it with something that actually works and evaluates employees on the actual work they do, not on whether or not they hang out with the rest of the team at Happy Hour on Friday nights.

Highly dysfunctional organization!

Current Employee - Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful new campus in Phoenix, lots of free food, and some associates have a lot of freedom to come and go as we please and work from home whenever we want to.

Cons

Where do I even start? This is a horrible, ugly organization. It's the most political place I've ever worked, with people constantly jockeying for position given the crazy way leaders are voted into their roles (and out!) and the insane annual ranking process. Formal education only matters if you're in Engineering. For anyone else, you can be a complete idiot who barely graduated high school and as long as you are "supported" by the cool kids, you'll get placed into a leadership role. If you're not a leader, but you are smart, capable, and experienced, you ARE going to be frustrated. Guaranteed. Actually, there are even a lot of leaders who hate this place. Especially "new" ones (anyone with less than 5 years at Gore is considered new). And try being hired in as a leader - forget about being successful. It's just not possible. You will be despised for having dared violate the cultural norm of "natural leadership" by having the audacity to accept the job offer. And people will openly express their disdain for you without hesitation because they and many others believe the culture encourages them to do so! Most of the leaders are either men or lesbians. Seriously - as a straight woman I've never felt so discriminated against. Accepting their job offer was the biggest mistake of my career and I'm terrified that their stupid Non Compete Agreement is going to prevent me from escaping this nightmare.

Advice to Management

1. Stop being such hypocrites and start calling yourself management. You are bosses as much as you deny it. And most of you are pretty lousy at it. 2. Stop hiring experienced people into this snake pit until you decide it's not okay to openly discriminate against them.