Great company for a long career

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Elkton, MD
Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Elkton, MD

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Wonderful company culture that engages you and lets you contribute your best. Enterprise has a strong technology base and leverages for long term results.

Cons

Not a great place for the individual that needs a lot of direction unless directly involved in making the products. There is a great diversity of management styles throughout the organization and that can be difficult to navigate for some.

Other Reviews for W.L. Gore

Highly dysfunctional organization!

Current Employee - Associate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beautiful new campus in Phoenix, lots of free food, and some associates have a lot of freedom to come and go as we please and work from home whenever we want to.

Cons

Where do I even start? This is a horrible, ugly organization. It's the most political place I've ever worked, with people constantly jockeying for position given the crazy way leaders are voted into their roles (and out!) and the insane annual ranking process.

Formal education only matters if you're in Engineering. For anyone else, you can be a complete idiot who barely graduated high school and as long as you are "supported" by the cool kids, you'll get placed into a leadership role. If you're not a leader, but you are smart, capable, and experienced, you ARE going to be frustrated. Guaranteed. Actually, there are even a lot of leaders who hate this place. Especially "new" ones (anyone with less than 5 years at Gore is considered new). And try being hired in as a leader - forget about being successful. It's just not possible. You will be despised for having dared violate the cultural norm of "natural leadership" by having the audacity to accept the job offer. And people will openly express their disdain for you without hesitation because they and many others believe the culture encourages them to do so!

Most of the leaders are either men or lesbians. Seriously - as a straight woman I've never felt so discriminated against. Accepting their job offer was the biggest mistake of my career and I'm terrified that their stupid Non Compete Agreement is going to prevent me from escaping this nightmare.

1. Stop being such hypocrites and start calling yourself management. You are bosses as much as you deny it. And most of you are pretty lousy at it. 2. Stop hiring experienced people into this snake pit until you decide it's not okay to openly discriminate against them.

Gore is a great place to work!

Former Employee - Manufacturing Operator  in  Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Operator in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Gore allows associates to grow within the company. They have many long term associates. Its a world class company to work for. They have many different types of companies within the umbrella of Gore and have a world class culture. They care about their employees.

Cons

The economy affects all of us and I think Gore has done its best to be a good company regardless of the economy.

Keep striving to do your best, like you always do!

There are newer employer reviews for W.L. Gore.

Worked for W.L. Gore? Contribute to the Community!