There are newer employer reviews for W.W. Grainger

Industry Leader

Current Employee - Account Relationship Manager in Northbrook, IL
Current Employee - Account Relationship Manager in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Tradition of service and quality. Leader in the industry and not content to stay pat. Best profit sharing plan I have ever seen.

Cons

Competition is changing at a quicker pace.

Respect you have earned in based on the performance of your people not merely leadership. Respect your people more.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good Company to work for.

Current Employee - Government Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Government Account Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Profit Sharing has been great over the years. Company has a good since of direction with go to market plans. Many good individuals to work with throughout the organization.

Cons

Hard to advance in career within the company. Tender does not matter any longer within the company; as it did 10 years ago. Hiring more outside of the organization instead of promoting within.

Pormote within more.

Payroll/staffing game

Current Employee - Store Worker in Fairfield, NJ
    Current Employee - Store Worker in Fairfield, NJ

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A well established company, decent pay and benefits.

Cons

Currently the company not replacing lost staff in branches. Instead its trying to continue to do business without new workers. Its the same thing that's been done in other retailers a 50%-50% full timer to part timer model. What it means at the stores is less customer facing employees, longer customer wait time, and employee burn out. Everyone at my store with the exception of the branch manger wants to leave. Most are currently looking. For the first time in years with its current no advancement policy and more and more work with less staff I am looking elsewhere for future employment.

Management is trying to boast the stocks at all cost, but cutting the part timers hours and not replacing staff in branches (while creating admin positions in the district) going into the inventory season does not make sense. It seems like the company really doesn't care about the staff or customers who visit the stores. If we made a billion dollars over the previous year why are you leaving the stores to die on the vine?

There are newer employer reviews for W.W. Grainger