W.W. Grainger
www.grainger.com Lake Forest, IL 5000+ Employees

Payroll/staffing game

Store Worker (Current Employee)
Fairfield, NJ

ProsA well established company, decent pay and benefits.

ConsCurrently the company not replacing lost staff in branches. Instead its trying to continue to do business without new workers. Its the same thing that's been done in other retailers a 50%-50% full timer to part timer model. What it means at the stores is less customer facing employees, longer customer wait time, and employee burn out. Everyone at my store with the exception of the branch manger wants to leave. Most are currently looking. For the first time in years with its current no advancement policy and more and more work with less staff I am looking elsewhere for future employment.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is trying to boast the stocks at all cost, but cutting the part timers hours and not replacing staff in branches (while creating admin positions in the district) going into the inventory season does not make sense. It seems like the company really doesn't care about the staff or customers who visit the stores. If we made a billion dollars over the previous year why are you leaving the stores to die on the vine?

Management needs work

Marketing Writer (Current Employee)
    Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros: Benefits, cafeteria. People with kids can come in late/leave early. Cons: Management does not mentor nor support team members. It's all for one and one… Advice to Senior Management: Marketing management needs a complete overhaul. The lack of a line of sight to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Forget advancement, this is a paycheck for newly grads

Credit and Collections (Current Employee)
    Niles, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: good benefits, salary ok , profit sharing Cons: Supervisors are in only for what they can get for themselves, they don't care about anyone else. They tend to favor those who had… Advice to Senior Management: Too many layers of managment are useless and give zero visibility to the valuable people that does the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on W.W. Grainger.

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at W.W. Grainger reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for W.W. Grainger CEO Jim Ryan. All reviews posted anonymously by W.W. Grainger employees.