There are newer employer reviews for W.W. Grainger

The only thing consistent is change....but change is sometimes good

Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Account Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Large company that isnt going away
-Do your job then you will never have to worry about losing it
-Been in business a very long time and very well known
-Room for advancement if you know the right people
-Pay scale seems to be better than the competition
-Profit sharing is decent

Cons

-Success is not always rewarded
-Not what you know or how well you do it but rather who you know
-As a seller, pricing is your worst enemy
-No inside (assigned) sales representatives
-New initiatives seems like almost monthly
-Branches and Sales are not on the same page and do not work well together

Advice to Management

Restructure compensation plan. Invest in an inside sales team to work with outside sales representatives.

reviews filtered by

Goals, expectations, requirements are all too high. Pay way too low for the desired results.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in North Salt Lake, UT
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in North Salt Lake, UT

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

PST. Work phone for personal use. a highly watched (telematics) car for some personal use.

Cons

We're not AM's, we're TSR's and are paid accordingly, which is very weak. They expect us to be strategic with over 350 accounts, while seeing at least 15 per day, all while working on the previous 15 calls the day before. It's impossible. They think there's 48 hours in one day, which is the amount of time you need to stay caught up. It's always more, more, more for less. They say the commission is "uncapped", but theres a locked down, padlock cap on it! If you're lucky enough to have a low goal one month (which rarely you are lucky at all here) and do well, they'll get that money back next half when they realize you've made too much and increase your goals so you hit under the 75% threshold. Micromanagement from imcompitant managers. Pointless early morning rally's. Ride a long days with your boss are the worst/most annoying pointless thing. Talks to us like we're 19 year olds fresh out of high school and thinks we make that of an AM. Combination for failure and high turnover. There's been 100% turnover in the 1.5 years I've been here, including a new manager. My advise, don't even consider a TSR role.

Advice to Management

Lower the goals, find compitant managers and increase the salary to at least become competeive. Also lowering the 60% margins on the items you're trying to screw the customers with.

Great company, great benefits, not for everyone

Current Employee - Account Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Grainger has a great people and resources to help you bring value to your customers. The benefits are good and for a distributor, they are great at what they do. Back orders and mis-shipments are an anomaly.

Cons

Change is abound on a regular basis so you better roll with it. Opportunities for advancement in sales are very few and far between. The company is heavily metric driven so you have to perform across all categories or management will find something to ding you on. It seems that Grainger is always trying to find a why to shape sales behavior by the incentives offered. The company is very goal driven and you judged fairly and sometimes unfairly due to your invididual performance to goal.

Advice to Management

Account managers like incentives and want to make more money which is why they are in sales. Instead of finding ways to reduce incentives look for ways to bring more opportunities to the table to drive behavior. Also, remove the administrative roadblocks that inhibit sales growth. Bring on DSM's from inside the organization.

There are newer employer reviews for W.W. Grainger