W.W. Grainger

www.grainger.com

Good job, but its one bad year and you could be gone.

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Trenton, NJ
Former Employee - Account Manager in Trenton, NJ

Pros

Team is friendly. Customers like working with you.

Cons

Fake Goals, they cant tell you how they are
 made up. You can work hard for 6 months and do great, then they just increase your goal so you break even on the year. Management then acts like they dont know the deal and blame you. Very common.

Other reviews for W.W. Grainger

THE WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY CAREER

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Profit Sharing but it takes 5-6 years to be fully vested

Cons

Unethical business practices - breaking contracts and changing quotas every month. Not paying Account Manager the commissions that were due to them. All 10 ten Account Managers I started with in 2011 have left the company to pursue other opportunities. The commission structure is awful - the worst in the industry.

Try to hire Managers that have more experience than selling printers at Pitney-Bowes

Do not fall for the picture HR paints

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Long Beach, CA

Pros

Training is it. They will position their profit share and upward mobility, but it is decades for that to happen. You will be sold on the time off, profit share, market position, and the ability to grow. The reality is when you join, get in line. On the bright side, their sales training is a good foundation for improving with another employer. Look at it a s a stepping stone psoition. The Grainger name does carry some positive weight.

Cons

Almost impossible to earn bonus or be promoted. Your goal changes every 6 months. There is a fear monger culture. Micromanaged. They will actually follow under-performers to appointments and discipline for tardiness, cancelation, etc. Their competitors, although much smaller, are much more mobile, cheaper, and contrary to what you're told by Grainger, have a better solution and service offering. You will be taught a sales presentation that must be done with every customer regardless of relevance. I never understood why they hired seasoned sales people because you are not allowed to think on your own. I would strongly suggest you analyze your current situation before making a move. To put this into better perspective, when I announced my resignation, I went in two weeks later to debrief and bring my management team up to speed on any open opportunities etc., it happened to fall right after our District Meeting. My entire team, at different times, came up to me and congratulated me. They said they were envious and are working their hardest to do the same.

Listen to your employees. Stop scaring them into submission and you will see the growth you desire.

There are newer employer reviews for W.W. Grainger.

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!