There are newer employer reviews for W.W. Grainger

Do not fall for the picture HR paints

Former Employee - Account Manager in Long Beach, CA
Former Employee - Account Manager in Long Beach, CA

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training is it. They will position their profit share and upward mobility, but it is decades for that to happen. You will be sold on the time off, profit share, market position, and the ability to grow. The reality is when you join, get in line. On the bright side, their sales training is a good foundation for improving with another employer. Look at it a s a stepping stone psoition. The Grainger name does carry some positive weight.

Cons

Almost impossible to earn bonus or be promoted. Your goal changes every 6 months. There is a fear monger culture. Micromanaged. They will actually follow under-performers to appointments and discipline for tardiness, cancelation, etc. Their competitors, although much smaller, are much more mobile, cheaper, and contrary to what you're told by Grainger, have a better solution and service offering. You will be taught a sales presentation that must be done with every customer regardless of relevance. I never understood why they hired seasoned sales people because you are not allowed to think on your own. I would strongly suggest you analyze your current situation before making a move. To put this into better perspective, when I announced my resignation, I went in two weeks later to debrief and bring my management team up to speed on any open opportunities etc., it happened to fall right after our District Meeting. My entire team, at different times, came up to me and congratulated me. They said they were envious and are working their hardest to do the same.

Listen to your employees. Stop scaring them into submission and you will see the growth you desire.

561 Other Employee Reviews for W.W. Grainger (View Most Recent)

Great Company, a little slow moving for someone young in their career.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good retirement benefits, good work life balance. People are generally reasonable about workloads.

Cons

Slow moving, older population, compensation not always even across departments.

You risk losing a lot of young talent by leaving the main offices in Lake Forest.

Territory Sales Representative

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Miami, FL

I worked at W.W. Grainger (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity to make money.
    Great Benefits
    A lot of good people.
    Good Team Working environment
    Company car and gas card

Cons

Low base salary.

Very unrealistic expectation to sell items ridiculously overpriced in comparison to every other MRO supplier, based on the notion of total value or value added when no such value exist or the value does not justify the ridiculous price difference.

Very unrealistic activity expectation. They expect you to meet with far more people they reasonably possible.

Although your manager may not ask you to work from home. He / she will assign work that would be impossible to preform during business hours if you want to be productive.

Lots of work, you will be working 80 plus hours a week.

Remember you are a sales person PEOPLE DONT LIKE SALES PEOPLE. YOU WILL BE TREATED LIKE CRAP. People will lie, hide and avoid you. People will waste your time, not answer or respond to your phone calls / emails. Cancal appointments without telling you, People will treat you badly like a bottom feeding parasite.

The very worst part is Managements ridiculous micro management of employees. There is a teleamatics system in your company car that allows your manager to track when you turn your car on / off, where you are at and for how long. Big brother watches you and questions every little thing.

Company Management manages in the "good ol boy" fashion. Similar to police officers, They take care of themselves, manages do and say whatever they want, with total impunity. Complaining about unfair treatment, abuse or any other negative action on your manager will result in immediate retribution. followed by frivolous accusations, write ups and progressive disciplinary actions for made up incidents until you crack and quit or they feel they have enough paper work on you to justify your termination.

Stop the Micro managing, senior management needs to not allow there managers to micro manage. Allow employees to be successful. Address employee concerns

There are newer employer reviews for W.W. Grainger