W.W. Grainger
www.grainger.com Lake Forest, IL 5000+ Employees

W.W,. Grainger is a great company to work for while you are there...

Territory Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood compensation, good benefits, and well known and recognized company.

ConsDuring my time there, there was an extremely high attrition rate of the District Sales Managers, along with the territory sales reps. This doesn't allow for development of synergies between representatives and management nor representatives and clients for medium to long term.

Advice to Senior ManagementYes, it it understood that people with continue to buy from Grainger as it has a strong brand recognition, however, imagine the % of growth potential to be realized in a med to long term relationship with one representative with an account. Multiply that per account and the numbers are quite astonishing.

Most of the objections or non positive perception from the client initally were ,"What, another Grainger representative? Wow, seems like you guys have a new rep every few months."

That said, Grainger is still a leader and has increased its stock price share from $80's to over $100 per, so, as stated in the beginning, does (attrition) it really matter as long as profits are growing and shareholders are happy:? Probably not.

Terrible Company To Work For

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Richmond, VA

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: The profit sharing is healthy. . Cons: Micro Management. Working Nights and weekends to keep up with requirements. Highly political. No advancement. No resource support. Outrageous expectations. Top Management is out of… Advice to Senior Management: You militant adherence to making your people drones by virtue of micro management and administrative, in… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

A once stellar company that cared about it's employees and customers, is now just greedy and arrogant.

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Benefits package, can work remotely. Cons: Goal expectations---difficult to overcome and make real money. Income is essentially capped with unrealistic goals. Disparity of goal incremental from one employee to the… Advice to Senior Management: Sales people understand that they're a $$$ sign, but at least treat us with some respect. Stop with the micro-managing and the ridiculous goals.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on W.W. Grainger.

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at W.W. Grainger reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for W.W. Grainger CEO Jim Ryan. All reviews posted anonymously by W.W. Grainger employees.