A blessing..... Understanding the value and investing your greatest work.

Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will be challenged...You will be tested.....If you are someone like me who thrives in this environment, you will be rewarded. If you are able to see the bigger picture, to understand that no other fortune 500 company is # 1 in their industry while only capturing less than 7% of a 100+ billion dollar market, if you come to work with positivity and pure dedication to building a brighter future...You can make your life goals come true. Great leaders, great people, great culture.

Cons

Yes, large companies have political issues...there will always be people in leadership who are not great leaders. There will always be peers who advance without proving themselves because they are better at dancing the dance ...Wake up! This is life.... if you sit there and complain, are too proud to make changes, or too full of pride you are selling yoursefl short.....That is your fault and no one elses. This is your life....you can make a amazing future for yourself here if you can adapt to change and push yourself each day and love a challenge

Internal advancement/hiring needs more focus. Especially the TSR to AM.....Provide more visibility for employees to visualize their future...planning a destination is so important. Keep in mind that high-performance over a period of 2-3 years should be the standard before consideration for advancement... There should be no restrictions on active pursuit of advancement at that point....only support.

Other Reviews for W.W. Grainger

What is the definition of insanity? - Grainger's Internal Audit Department.

Current Employee - Internal Audit  in  Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Internal Audit in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than a year

Pros

The HQs in Lake Forest has a nice building. They're good at bringing talent in - but can't keep anyone past 2 years. (it's amazing anyone stays that long if they come into the company through internal audit). The parking lot is always salted.

Cons

The Internal Audit department is comprised layer upon layer of managers, directors, and executives with little to no audit experience. They have no idea what they’re doing, talking about, reviewing, etc. The IA Department has the worst reputation throughout Grainger, and it’s more than deserved. All the talent lies at the senior level – from which they draw a great deal out of Big 4 and other large public accounting firms. However, the seniors spend so much time “dumbing down” audit information to the managers and directors that there is little time for anything else and most seniors do not last more than 2 years.

This is a department that loves anything classified as no-value added: countless status update meetings, no decisions are ever made, project trackers, moving the same information from Excel to Word to our IA software (which no one knows how to use) – the list goes on forever.

In short, if you’d like to spend your career with a smile plastered on your face as your brain slowly turns to mush – this is the position for you.

To the management in Internal Audit: please grow a spine. My manager couldn't make a decision if her life depended on it. I'm not interested in wasting my time and our business partners' time because my manager has no idea what's going on.

Assaulted by a Customer - Dumped by the Company after 8 Years

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at W.W. Grainger for more than 8 years

Pros

Work autonomy. OK pay and benefits

Cons

Micro management. Demands and pressure to work long hours, even when above sales goals. No room for family. Unobtainable expectations. No support for female associates. I was injured on the job and assaulted by a customer, and Middle management responded by "discharging" me after 8 years.

/If you desire to attract and keep talented sales professionals, do not allow the processes to get in the way of productivity. Hire better managers.

There are newer employer reviews for W.W. Grainger.

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!