WESCO International

www.wesco.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for WESCO International

Decent place to work but not one of the best.

I have been working at WESCO International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company culture is to leave at 5 every day which is fairly unusual for large companies. I assume this is because the company used to be mostly focused on branches which had no reason to stay late. Pay and benefits are decent. Nobody ever thinks they are paid enough but I have no complaints. And there is nobody cracking the whip like I have experienced at previous jobs. In general, the atmosphere is laid back as long as you're getting your work done. As one of the few local Fortune 500 companies, WESCO looks good on your resume.

Cons

In the list of employee attributes (hard working, resourceful, etc.), length of service is #1 by a mile. They will take a long-time mediocre employee over a newly hired superstar every day of the week. This obviously has caused retention issues since superstars are used to being rewarded and know they are in demand at other companies. 2% annual raises aren't helping retention but it's not like other companies are throwing around 10% raises either. While I think the many acquisitions have helped keep us afloat financially, we do a poor job of integrating them into the company. Managers are quick to throw each other under the bus which I think points to poor senior management.

I would suggest hiring more management from outside because things will never get better the way they are currently. There do seem to be some attempts by HR to change the culture and I've heard managers discuss retention being a focus but there are just too many long-timers in charge.

85 Other Employee Reviews for WESCO International (View Most Recent)

Micromanaged and unfulfilled

I have been working at WESCO International

Pros

Pay is average/above average. They improved the number of PTO days a few years ago. Executive management has a great vision for the future and the company is extremely financially healthy.

Cons

Poor employee morale, negative environment. The micromanagement will drive you crazy.

From outside: great. Internally: terrible micro-management with attitudes that affect growth and talent retention.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at WESCO International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is financially strong. Acquisitions have been smart and generally increase the market share and deliver consistent results. Almost always across the company's middle positions, you will find amazing kind, hard-working folks to work with. They have the ability to attract talented people.

Cons

But then, they can't keep that talent.

At the corporate level, there is an internal culture of keeping employees, even valuable ones held back in terms of compensation and positions.

Micro-managers: When one is versed in the field, you realize have NO idea what they are doing and will focus on the most unimportant things while the castle burns.

Professional growth is stagnant except for the connected higher ups: branch managers, district and regional managers and top level execs. I see hard working Branch Operations people struggle with the tough day to day work making a third of the salary some Branch Managers make. These roles are the heart of the company and they are stuck in these roles, for bad pay, for a long, long time.

Good Ol' boy's club is evident in treatment of female counterparts (and I'm a man).

In mid level positions, wage increases are a joke, 3% is the yearly average if you qualify (whatever that means). The acquisitions that are integrated to the company hold grudges against other acquisitions or the parent company itself.

Training of any sort is absent from most professional positions, even entry level in the company, specially IT, Operations and Branches. Different "little big bosses" fighting over each other are incapable of following a standard. Consistently defective internal software that sets back sales and ops. Confusing, contradictory instructions from the managers that clash in emails, calls and even initiatives, only hurt the hard working middle position folks that *actually* get the job done.

People in the mid level corporate positions allow your company to work and progress. The large scale initiatives are great on paper, but you have micro-managers managing them. This is true of the technology folks, the branch ops managers and your hard working administrative folks. You need to provide better leadership for these groups and this level. *You need to pay better.* You need to train and you need to sponsor the professional growth of your base employees, provide a path to move up. Some people are able to get away with minimal work, some are putting in unending hours to get the job done and there is no compensation, recognition or assistance.

*That is called bad management.*

These managers have no clue who's leading what and the people doing good work are crushed with a small paycheck. This is the sort of company one would like to stay with, but can't if you are in these folk's shoes. Their top level leadership has great vision and plans, but internally have no idea, no connection or relation to the people getting it done for them. And that's a true shame.

There are newer employer reviews for WESCO International