There are newer employer reviews for WMS Gaming

Used to be good, maybe even the best, now it's almost poisonous

Current Employee - Principal Gaming Software Engineer  in  Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Principal Gaming Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WMS Gaming

Pros

- There is the chance of reward and recognition if you put in a big effort
- Individually there are some cool and very smart co-workers there

Cons

- Management have no idea about planning or scheduling, all they use is a random date generator and microsoft xls. That is no exaggeration.
- You will be forced to bust your ass due to managements failings
- Cooperation between some key departments is non existent
- Whole company is littered with legacy procedures and practices that will make you weep, don't bother trying to complain or change them.
- Every company has politics, if you can't play them watch your back. There are some caustic people there, and they are at all levels of the company

To the 'leadership' group that should be above R&D do the following
1. Teach middle management how to plan and schedule
2. Make WMS the creative and fun place it was in it's halcyon days, thats how you became the darling of the industry.
3. Get down in the trenches, speak to the troops.
4. Don't just listen to the troops and nod. Understand, react and keep them happy.
5. You worry too much about the competition, look at yourself from the inside and you'll understand why the competition is getting back on top of you.

80 Other Employee Reviews for WMS Gaming (View Most Recent)

Great place to work, manager supports and challenges me and senior management communicates the company plan constantly.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WMS Gaming

Pros

We have flexible work hours and passionate employees to develop creative products that are innovative and truly lead the competition. Named 2010 #1 Best Place to Work by Chicago Tribune in the large company category. Solid overall benefits plan.

Cons

Gaming industry is highly regulated.

More cons than pros

Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at WMS Gaming

Pros

WMS Gaming has good pay and benefits. Plenty of PTO and holiday days. Fun working on products that will be played by a large number and wide variety of people.

Cons

1) The company is run like a manufacturing company even though it is the content and high tech deliverables that make casinos want to buy our slot machines. As a result, we have old machines, old tools, and old methodologies.
    2) Projects constantly have unrealistic deadlines and are understaffed which results in poor quality and poor performance in the market.
    3) Much talk is made of improving quality but the only emphasis ever made is on engineering quality rather than planning quality, design quality, requirements quality, art quality, math quality, management quality, etc.
    4) Decision makers in upper and senior management are not held accountable for their poor decisions but rather pass the blame.
    5) Senior management and CEO recently admitted that they had no clue about how bad things were in terms of deadlines and project status until our recent bad quarters. Problems have been festering for years but since we were making money hand over fist, no attention was paid.
    6) There are too many people who seem to be promoted due to likeability or confusing their team's abilities with their own abilities. As a result, an administrative assistant with no management or software engineering background is now executive director of game development.
    7) The idea of leadership at WMS seems to be to spout out a vision but not provide any guidance, requirements, resources to implement that vision, etc.
    8) Management cannot handle crises. Whenever there is a fire drill, there is always flailing about to find answers and solutions.
    9) Management says "slow down to speed up" but the same people who say that also want quick results.

There has been too much revisionist history and flat out fabrication of incorrect information at WMS Gaming recently to cover the poor decisions made by management. What happened to "Integrity" as part of our core values?

Accountability needs to be added to our core values. Those who made poor decisions that resulted in our recent results need to be held accountable for those decisions rather than continuously promoted and praised.

There is a level of hubris at our company that we are so good that the casinos have no choice but to buy our products and jurisidictions have no choice but to allow our technology into their casinos. I think we need to be more humble and more conservative in our predictions of the future.

There are newer employer reviews for WMS Gaming

Worked for WMS Gaming? Contribute to the Community!