Best company I have ever worked for IMHO

Current Employee - Support Engineer in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Support Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at WP Engine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WP Engine has great benefits, they show how they really care about their employees. Every day brings new challenges that are engaging and cause you to keep learning. I work around a group of motivated and fun people that work as a team to help make sure that our customers are happy. Our CEO walks in every morning with a smile on her face, knows the names of just about everyone here and takes a moment to ask how you are doing, not how the queues are, but how I am doing as a person and how my family is. They feed us all the time. Not only is there a pantry full of snacks, there is a soda machine, stuff to make sandwiches and most time lunch is catered (4/5 days out of the week). We have unlimited PTO but just about everyone loves working here so much that we take less PTO then jobs where you get two weeks off per year. Full medical, dental and vision insurance, 100% paid by WP Engine.

Cons

A few co-workers are difficult to interact with, don't embrace our culture or work ethic. To some extent I feel like those individuals will eventually drop out and not affect the work environment. If you can manage to keep your distance you can really enjoy the people that really care about doing a good job and making the culture better.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that management do more in the way of quality control. Issues are escalated from L1 -> L2 -> L3 without proper notes or troubleshooting steps on a regular basis. Sometimes the most trivial errors are overlooked. This really comes down to training (and attention to detail from the tech) so it's an issue that CAN be corrected, just difficult to tackle when we are in such a rapid growth period. Overall I'm very hopeful for the future of this company and I feel like management is well equipped to tackle any issues that we have, it's just going to take time.

WP Engine Response

Nov 22, 2014 – Talent and Culture

We are so happy you feel that way! You should provide your insight to our training teams so we can help improve the escalation process. Together our teams make WP Engine a great place to be and we ... More

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Horrible place to work, bad leadership - some good people

I worked at WP Engine part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money was good. Met some cool peeps.

Cons

Like most start-ups, they do not know how to hire people and they hire and fire without realizing that they are playing with people's lives. Disgusting place to work.

Advice to Management

Look down to see what the ignorant people are doing and how bad your so-called leaders are.

Best company I've ever worked for, hands down.

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist Level II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist Level II in Austin, TX

I have been working at WP Engine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, amazing culture, we get fed, plenty of awesome snacks, and it really is like we're a family. People get very close and WPE hires people that fit a certain culture and have a certain mentality. We're very social, driven, and intelligent people who strongly care about the work we do and making our customers happy, but we also love to have fun. If you work hard, learn as much as you can, and contribute, it's easy to be recognized by everyone in the company. If you have a good idea, management will always listen. It doesn't matter if you're Level 1 support or TechOps -- a good idea is a good idea. I've seen many employees suggestions (including mine) be implemented. The potential for personal growth is astounding, especially coupled with the fact that the company is growing at a ridiculous rate. Plus, free parking in a parking garage downtown. That's pretty sweet.

Cons

The only bad thing I can really think of is that people might feel pressured to work lots of overtime. Management loves seeing people put in OT (unlimited OT!...for now, at least) and the people that work a lot obviously tend to get recognized more, so I can see how people might feel bad for not working OT. But really, as long as you put in your 8 hours and do good work, people aren't going to view you poorly. People have lives and can't always be at work, and everyone knows that.