Waffle House

There are newer employer reviews for Waffle House

Family Atmosphere BUT LOW PAY and sometimes treated like a child

Current Employee - Waitress
Current Employee - Waitress

I have been working at Waffle House part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Funny and interesting people,
Homey atmosphere
People of all ages work there
Many different stories and frequent customers.

Cons

Management is bossy but bearable
I only make a little over $2.00 an hour plus tips...which are rare given the time I work.

267 Other Employee Reviews for Waffle House (View Most Recent)

Do not recommend.

Former Employee - Waffle House District Manager
    Former Employee - Waffle House District Manager

I worked at Waffle House full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent training program, some interesting experiences.

Cons

Inconsistent and very low pay for the hours you put in. Capital improvements to the building along with routine maintenence will negatively affect your paycheck. Complicated pay structure with goals that are not consistently attainable. Work week 60-75 hours, with mandatory show ups on weekend nights. Work every single holiday and weekend. They routinely break state laws by taking shortages(cash or food) out of your pay. Break OSHA laws for a safe work environment. Upper management usually poorly educated, stuck in a management style from the 1960's. Weekly meetings where you are personally berated and embarassed in front of your collegues (especially if you're a woman). This list could encompass a dictionary so I will stop.

Keep your job close as you would be irrelevent in any other company in the United States.

Unhappy Unit Manager.

Current Employee - Unit Manager
    Current Employee - Unit Manager

I have been working at Waffle House full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some hourly associates are a joy to work with. I've found that in my unit I have about 2 people that I can really count on when someone else doesn't come through. This is a blessing.

Being off around 3 -30 pm the days you work is nice.

New Unit Managers having a back up cook for the first 6 months was a good idea.

Cons

The company requires that Unit managers come back to change the drawer Friday and Saturday nights, as well as the night before you have your two days off. This is a true pain. Especially when you are mid-20's and would like to have some kind of social life on the weekends which is pretty much cut out anyhow because of the way the rotating schedule is set up you will only have a weekend off every 1 and a 1/2 months anyway.

You have to work every holiday. A unit managers schedule is 6 days on and then two days off. This doesn't hold true for the holiday season, plan on working probably 7 days straight and getting one day off. Also during holiday season when there are black out days plan on going back to change the drawer at night, after you have already worked 1st shift that day.

Quality of life isn't that great when you are short staffed and having issues finding people to work. You would think you'd get tons of applications all the time, you don't. Then the few applications you do get, cross your fingers hoping they pass the background, or that they aren't on discretionary hire. It makes it hard to be selective, it's almost to the point where I interview anyone who turns in an application. Every week is something different.

The new pay based on "Target overall" sucks. I know managers in my division whose checks have been 600-800 dollars for 2 weeks of work, 60 hr work weeks! Doing the calculations this is barely over minimum wage in most places!!!! Not to mention, you don't get paid for holidays or overtime.

There are some superstar unit managers who have good stores with employees that have been there a long time, and they are able to run good numbers and be successful.

But for the majority what I have seen is my fellow unit managers in my division looking to find new jobs ASAP! OVERWORKED, AND UNDERPAID.

I took this job after graduating with a degree in Business Administration to gain management experience. This is not a place I would want to work for the rest of my career. I'd actually be willing to take make a little less money, for a better quality of life and better benefits elsewhere!

Practice what you preach. (Seen violations of management laws) Re-vise the Unit Manager pay plan. 600-800 dollar checks for a person that is solely in charge of the Unit, and working 50-70 hours a week is absolutely ridiculous and you won't ever keep managers.

Stop being so cheap and advertise job openings/take online applications on websites like snag-a-job, or indeed!! This would help Unit Managers a TON!

There are newer employer reviews for Waffle House