There are newer employer reviews for Waggener Edstrom Communications

Amazing agency for teamwork/collaboration but lack of leadership at exec level

I have been working at Waggener Edstrom Communications

Pros

The work we do, clients we have, flexibility that most teams offer, great benefits, and we all work hard and are very proud of what we do. Overall, the people are what are the best aspect of Waggener Edstrom, making and building new relationships on a daily basis that opens many doors to a variety of opportunities.

There is also a lot of collaboration at the agency which is always a great thing as you never know what you can learn from other people's perspectives. It's also a fun agency. We work extremely hard but we also take the time to relax, whether that's playing a game of pool or kicking back with those around you and just hanging out.

Also has an amazing internship program. Although not directly connected to it or having partnered with it yet, I'm looking forward to it as they are bringing on some amazing talent!

Cons

Lack of respect at leadership level, but also across some of the account below leadership level; lack of communication from leadership; values not held, especially at the management level; leaders who don't even acknowledge employees in social settings

Instead of continuing to say you're listening to what your employees are saying, take the time to actually hear them and act on ways to improve the agency. But really do it. Every year is the same - they say it's going to change yet it never does, at least not for the better. Sometimes those at the leadership level seem so disconnected from the real world of the day to day agency life. Also need to hold people accountable for their actions, more so than you do, including your own. Having witnessed agency leaders being extremely verbally disrespectful is one of the most unbearable aspects of the agency. Grow your managers. Lack of experience for those managing others really needs to be looked at. Career Growth - don't stifle your people. Allow everyone in the agency to grow and not shut the door on them when they ask to move onto different responsibilities or positions. Bring back agency wide meetings so that there is actually more interaction between your employees. Have your founders be more visible at the agency, thanking teams for all of the hard work they do - more so those that get overshadowed by more flashy projects/teams. Not being on an infrastructure team but observing all of their most hard work they do they should be recognized much more for what they do. If it weren't for the infrastructure teams, the rest of us wouldn't be here. Discontinue taking away infrastructure resources - they are the ones who need them the most! And it would be helpful to have better business planning as well. Same story every year.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great company to grow and learn in

I have been working at Waggener Edstrom Communications

Pros

Cares about employees and focuses on talent, lots of room to grow. Creativity is encouraged and rewarded. Lots of amazing consumer brands to work on, not just a tech agency anymore.

Cons

Different office environments have different cultures. Senior leadership can reward longevity over competence or ability to change with the times.

Encourage diversity, continue to diversify your portfolio. Speed up your global growth. Outgrow American mentality and become truly global.

RUN far far away from this place. Don't walk.

I worked at Waggener Edstrom Communications

Pros

Good medical/dental benefits. Good vacation time. This sometimes keeps people around who are miserable. There are still some decent, hard working people left.

Cons

Where do I begin really? Senior management is a joke. No real business plan or projection. Layoffs that they try to sweep under the rug in true PR fashion. VP's who roll in at 1030 and are out by 2. Recognition of hard work is rarely given. The business is struggling and has been for he past few years. Old-timers who don't know how to evolve with the industry. Overuse of the term digital when most of them don't even know the meaning of the word. Account team are hired straight from the sororities. Turn over is a problem. Lack of competence in growth potential within the digital world. The list goes on.

Educate yourself. Learn how to comprehend the basics of digital. Don't take credit where credit isn't due. Know how to speak and LISTEN to your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Waggener Edstrom Communications