There are newer employer reviews for Waggener Edstrom Communications

A wonderful jumping-off point and learning opportunity for junior level employees

Former Employee - Account Coordinator
Former Employee - Account Coordinator

Pros

As a junior-level employee Waggener Edstrom is a great place to begin a career and gain experience and knowledge under some of the brightest minds in PR. The growth and learning opportunities were easily accessible and encouraged and the feedback I received from higher-ups while I was there have helped shape me into the better PR professional that I am today.

Cons

One of the strongest downsides of working at WE is the amount of red tape and process that everything requires. But, of course, that is something to be expected in such a large organization with offices all over the world.

Advice to Management

I think the senior management at WE is doing a great job leading the company. I'm sure they're already working at this 110%, but I would strongly encourage trying to win the business of more diverse clients. I realize that Microsoft is the bread and butter of the organization, but there is so much more to the agency than what they're doing with Microsoft and honestly, I'm not confident in Microsoft's ability to stay relevant in the tech industry.

Other Employee Reviews for Waggener Edstrom Communications

The Pros Far Outweigh the Cons

Current Employee - Account Executive in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Lake Oswego, OR

Pros

Flexible, open cube door leadership. Ability to try on many different hats. Chance to work on comms for a major Fortune 100 company. Independent which is especially important in times of economic trouble. Some unique benefits.

Cons

They knock you down a title level or two when you come in the door...many people with experience have observed this. This makes the promotion dance even harder than usual because you always feel as if you're two measures behind the music.

Advice to Management

Get creative in the way you staff and structure your accounts. Keep that open dialogue going. Push out the leaders who are not keeping up their end of the bargain. To that end, start a better system for upward feedback. Don't forget about Pam Edstrom--she inspires us and should be more front and center.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Pros

The benfits are good including 4 weeks of leave and 4 months of maternity leave - unpaid. My job provides a lot of variety and challenge and feel as though I work in a very creative environment for the most part, where new ideas are supported and implementation of those ideas often encouraged. I feel as though you can achieve anything you want to achieve if you can find the time and can show how it would be beneficial to the company. The company is also independent which is a noce position to be in given the current economic climate.

Cons

Although I have progressed fairly quickly in the time that I have been with the company, I do feel as though opportunities for advancement are limited on my team and that I will need to wait for someone to leave before I can move up. I recognize though that this is often the case when you are with a company for a long time and sometimes you have to move out before you can move up. I also feel as though you are tasked with doing a job at a higher level for a while before you are recognized with a promotion to that level.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it takes a long time to make a decision. Although I value a culture where a number of opinions are heard, there comes a point where you have to identify a decision maker and just move forward.