There are newer employer reviews for Waggener Edstrom Communications

Enjoyable work environment

Current Contractor - Content Creation in Bellevue, WA
Current Contractor - Content Creation in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Waggener Edstrom Communications as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Good, smart people, good feeling of community

Cons

Not particular to WE, but in PR, sometimes clients what to turn direction or take too long to give feedback and staff needs to turn on a dime. But this is the industry.

n/a

reviews filtered by

Not a good place

I worked at Waggener Edstrom Communications

Pros

Highly ranked PR firm and interesting clients.

Cons

Waggener Edstrom is one of the worst places I have ever worked, If you want to be micromanaged, embarrassed by having faults and errors pointed out in front of co-workers, deal with a highly political office environment, and spend your work day with co-workers who probably won't want to get to know you because they know more than likely you won't be there for very long, go ahead and take a job there. Prepare to sit in meetings time and time again with management promising change, but failing to deliver any meaningful results. The promise of change is almost a running joke at Waggener amongst employees. People at Waggener walk around like drones because they aren't happy. Granted the company is big, but from my time there I found that employees will not be that enthusiastic about talking to you or getting to know you on a personal level.

From my firsthand experience, Waggener Edstrom CEO Melissa Waggener Zorkin will convey to you through emails and meetings that she really cares about the agency and (according most importantly according to her) all the employees. The truth is she doesn't, and if she really does, she's doing an incredibly poor job running the agency. I could go on and on writing about why i dislike this company, but I will sum it up briefly with bulleted points.

* They deceive contract employees by baiting them with the idea they might be hired on full time.
    * Several people working there play politics and will stab you in the back any chance they get.
    * It's a bad work environment and I was miserable there.
    * Waggener likes to think they have more influence than they really do and they are more important to their clients than they really are.
    * If the agency is so great, why do people leave (hence the high turnover rate)?
    * The criticism you will find no here is fairly consistent and accurate. Why do so many people have the same complaints?

If you're capable and talented, save yourself some time and go for a job at a different firm. I've heard Weber is a much better agency to work for and treats their employees like humans. I can't say the say for Waggener Edstrom.

Stop saying you are going to change things and then not do anything.

Those in power don't walk their talk.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wonderful, friendly people.
    Good work-from-home option.
    Nice benefits.

Cons

Sorority-based team leadership: you've gotta be "in" with the right leaders to be recognized as a "rock star."
    Lot of talk from the CEO about "people are our #1 asset," but the long work hours and the lay-offs every year are hallmarks of a place where *clients* matter most and where budgets aren't managed in an upfront, smart way.

Decide what your core approach really is: PR? Integrated comms? Media relations?
    Don't say you're transparent: BE transparent.
    Prioritize other practices as much as you do the Microsoft account.

There are newer employer reviews for Waggener Edstrom Communications