There are newer employer reviews for Waggener Edstrom Communications

A Great Place to Work, When it Comes to Agency PR

Current Employee - Account Director in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Account Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunities, pay is competitive, challenging work, encouragement to grow skills, encouragement to volunteer, top notch clients

Cons

Lack of consistent criteria for what is valued in a leader, can be "clicky"

You should find ways to recognize middle managers more consistently. Not necessarily with money but some of the company/team awards are more geared toward junior staff

reviews filtered by
  1. Waggener Edstrom has the potential to be a great company but focuses on the wrong things

I worked at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Waggener Edstrom portrays itself as a great company which it may have been years ago, but it is very apparent that it focuses too much of it's efforts on keeping Microsoft alive and not on moving the company in a new direction. It's difficult for me to list any pros but If I had to pick something positive to say, it would be the benefits. They reimburse employees monthly for mobile internet as well as every two years for a new cell phone.

Cons

Where to begin...
    - Low salary- I was asked in my very first interview what I was hoping to make. I wasn't expecting the question so early and threw out a number. The offer I received was BARELY over the number I gave, which was substantially below what I should have been making. Also, the company does not allow employees to discuss salary or promotions with one another. It is EXTREMELY frowned upon, possible reason for termination depending on specific situation. Yes, many company's have the same view on pay, but WE goes above and beyond.
    - No work-life balance- Always too much work to do and never enough hours in the day. If you're on salary, you practically work for free. If you are hourly, it is stressed that you should not work any overtime unless it is approved by your manager. The catch about this is that most managers see that there is too much work to complete and may even see you working through your lunch/early or late but won't speak up to make sure you're actually getting paid for the time.
    - Managers- Executives put so much pressure on the managers that they're all unhappy and it's very clear to employees. It doesn't feel like they want you to succeed, but are instead worried about covering their own butts.
    - The only employees that are treated well/get perks (and they get a lot) are the employees that work directly on big accounts. What about everyone else, Melissa?

Remember that your employees, even the little people, are who make the company run.

Stuck in the past

I worked at Waggener Edstrom Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary. Stable job if you are on the Microsoft account. Good agency to learn fundamentals of PR.

Cons

Stuck in the past of being Microsoft's agency of record. Senior leadership is out of touch with reality, continually prioritizes pet projects instead of real business opportunity and lacks accountability.

Break into two companies, one that is Microsoft only, and another more entrepreneurial agency.

There are newer employer reviews for Waggener Edstrom Communications