Waggener Edstrom Communications

Good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Waggener Edstrom Communications

Pros

work life balance. great benefits package. 16 hrs of volunteer hours for each employee

Cons

still a bit old school when it comes to PR

171 Other Employee Reviews for Waggener Edstrom Communications (View Most Recent)

Minimal recognition

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Waggener Edstrom Communications

Pros

Expansive in-house research, digital and new media resources and expertise makes it a great place to learn on the cutting edge.

Cons

Welcome to the land of fife-doms. Fear of internal competition seriously dampens knowledge sharing. In a place where senior leadership is incredibly out of touch with the folks who are running the day to day business, it's easy to be overlooked.

Shed some of the long-timers who make little visible contribution. Encourage a culture of collaboration that will help all boats rise with the tide.

Didn't Realize I'd Joined A Sorority Until After The Hazing Began

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Waggener Edstrom Communications

Pros

Waggener Edstrom is a great place to work for name recognition. People respect the agency because Microsoft has been a long-term client. You don't have to say much of anything else to get an interview/job offer when you have Waggener Edstrom or Microsoft on your resume. The salary and benefits are also not too bad.

Cons

The agency will make promises during the hiring process that it will not keep. Work life balance is a favorite buzz phrase and the more they're saying it the more it's not happening (they talk about it all of the time). I accepted a position that was much lower than my experience and skills would have indicated, but unfortunately I did not know anyone at the agency and did not realize that until I was already employed there. From there I experienced endless turnover in management (it appears they placed me on a team with low visibility which I would never have known from the outside looking in...and no one wanted to be on that team). The managers I had consistently took credit for my work, pretended my prior experience wasn't relevant (though it was agency work, it wasn't for Microsoft!), and generally did nothing to help advance me even though the clients liked me. Whenever I asked how I could get the coveted promotion I had been promised in a short period of time on the way in, I received vague responses, no responses, or even anger that I would have the nerve to ask. Another favorite manager tactic seemed to be failure to pass on pertinent client information (job security on their part I suspect), and then comments about the need to be more "strategic" (unfortunately when client information is hidden it is quite difficult to demonstrate your strategic planning skills). Many managers gave just enough information to do all of the tactical work and withheld the rest. I began to doubt myself after a couple of years in this environment, but when I moved on to another agency where I was the only client contact (and those above me had better things to do then hover and make my job more difficult), low and behold I remembered just how good I actually was...and got promoted very quickly. The lesson? The better you are at Waggener Edstrom the more of a threat you present. If you want to work there, go in at the bottom (you won't be a threat and you'll learn a lot) or management (you'll already be "one of them"), but stay away from the middle.

Sync up with your human resources team and find out what they are promising new hires. Remember high turnover is expensive (it might eventually effect your bonus!) and the turnover is higher when you mentally abuse your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Waggener Edstrom Communications