There are newer employer reviews for Wake County Public Schools

Wake County Public School System

I have been working at Wake County Public Schools full-time

Pros

Good colleagues, lots of trainings, big push for technology in classrooms and schools of all types (Smart Boards, Promethean Boards, iPads, laptops, VoiceThread, etc)

Cons

Does not give "steps" for experience each year in pay, too many programs to keep up with for accountability (leaves teachers scrambling to keep up with all the "paperwork", which takes enthusiasm out of teaching students)

72 Other Employee Reviews for Wake County Public Schools (View Most Recent)

Look into other school systems

I have been working at Wake County Public Schools full-time

Pros

Your choice of schedule, year round or traditional, love the peers I work with.

Cons

Not prepared for the Common Core Standards. They have not provided teachers with rubrics, resources, as well as what objectives they should be teaching for each quarter. However, other counties in the state as well as other states are prepared for this transition. Many teachers are looking to other states and teachers outside the county for guidance. The county has frozen teacher's pay for the last 4 years. The school board has no concern for their teachers or students. The school board only cares about furthering their own political careers and agendas. Fired superintendent with no just cause.

Too far removed from the classroom. I would like to see all those in charge spend one day with a teacher to see what they have to deal with daily!

Yuck.

Former Employee - English Teacher in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - English Teacher in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Wake County Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I had every summer off. I liked many of my colleagues. Job kept me on my feet, thus I stayed thin. Always good.

Cons

Administration is nuts. Wake County does not focus on the students, but the numbers. No child left behind has created a system of cheating and manipulation of data rather than true concern about student learning.

Retire.