WakeMed Health and Hospitals

WakeMed review

Current Employee - Nurse in Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Nurse in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at WakeMed Health and Hospitals

Pros

Pay, benefits and variety of opportunities

Cons

Some managers and supervisors are ineffective and it appears that they take the roll because they are no longer interested in nursing and not supportive to staff

I am concerned about the excessive expansion currently going on, especially with the current downturn in the economy

61 Other Employee Reviews for WakeMed Health and Hospitals (View Most Recent)

Great place to work.

Current Employee - RN, Staff Nurse in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - RN, Staff Nurse in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at WakeMed Health and Hospitals

Pros

I have worked at WakeMed over 10 years. The reason I came was for the Childrens' Emergency Department. The reason I stayed though was because of all the support and kindness I have found there. Not just my department, but the whole system really follows the Wake Way = be helpful wherever you can.

Smile and take that lost soul by the hand and lead them where they need to be. Whether that is a patient, family member, vendor, poor lost new employee or what. I know that without the help of WakeMed employees I would still be wandering the halls, trying to find my department.

The staff is excellent, providing excellent care. No worries about being a patient there for myself, my family, my friends.
    Many places provide excellent care, but WakeMed makes sure you feel the caring that goes with the care.

Cons

The biggest downside is the constant construction. While I know it is necessary, it is still frustrating to find a hallway disappeared over the weekend. And parking is a pain, also due to construction. When it is completed though we will be so glad. And we don't have to pay for it. I understand that some places (where my sister worked) employees have to pay for parking.

Be seen more often. I know there are meet and greet meetings from time to time and a chance to talk with management. However those groups are always so large. Perhaps more frequent, smaller groups would be more user friendly.

Ambitious organization with mild growth pains

Current Employee - RN in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - RN in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at WakeMed Health and Hospitals

Pros

One of the best hospitals for encouraging employee ownership. Probably the best doctor nurse communication and mutual respect in the triangle.

Cons

As the largest hospital in Raleigh they must be aggressive in limiting competitor's growth in primary referral bases, particularly where they are not a large well known teaching facilitity with the name recognition or range of services UNC or Duke has to offer.

Streamline processes and advertise diversity of services, referring facilities have little idea of how much Wakemed can offer and many of those that do prefer often choose not to use Wakemed services because the process is to convoluted and time consuming. It seems like way to many nonclinical hours on the payroll, management/support tree needs somes some serious pruning.

There are newer employer reviews for WakeMed Health and Hospitals