There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens

Inviting, and a wonderful learning experience.

Current Employee - Shift Lead in Mayfield, KY
Current Employee - Shift Lead in Mayfield, KY

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They seem to hire the best they can find, and their training is extensive and second to none I've seen.

Cons

The hours can be bad if you don't do swing shifts well, but

Advice to Management

Provide more money to update the training, it's good but dated.

reviews filtered by

Time to move on. Deadend job with no promotions.

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Houston, TX

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours to work around my school schedule...but mainly based on your pharmacy manager.

Cons

Not enough available hours so always understaffed. Store manager wanted what's best for the company and started scheduling us for 4 to 6 hour shifts instead of a full 8 hour shift, which is a waste my time.

Advice to Management

Give us better raises for staying with the company so long. I've worked with this company for 5 years and I just received an offer from a major pbm for 50cents more an hour with plenty of chances to get raises and promotions. They can guarantee full time with 8 hour shifts, two breaks, and many available overtime opportunities.

From Great to Draining in Five Years Time

Current Employee - Executive Assistant Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Was Good Compensation, Pay on Performance, Great Leadership, A Variety of Experiences and Tools, Individuality Encouraged, Great Benefits, Employee Discount, Transfer to Any of 8,000 Locations in the Country If There is an Opening, Opportunity for Advancement, Promote from Within Culture from Bottom to the Top, Profit-Sharing Retirement Plan with Company Match Above Industry Standards.

Cons

Ridiculously competitive, no dirty move is off limits if it helps your career. Pay on Performance has become a joke now that position salary caps have been put in place:after two-three years your pay is frozen anyway. CEO is making some pretty wild gambles with the company's future at the employee's expense. New upgraded equipment and software has more flaws and failures than the previous equipment (which was from 1981). Blue Shirt, Black or Khaki pants, no exceptions. It's a uniform that you pay for.....and leave the fancy ties at home because you'll ruin them in one day. Opportunity for Advancement is extremely limited unless your willing to move cross country for an "opportunity" to move up. Most corporate jobs are now filled from outside applicants, contrary to previous culture and teachings. Retirement plan is now industry standard.

Advice to Management

You went to all sorts of lengths to acquire great talent during times of growth, but now that growth has slowed, you've done everything in your power to chase the good one's out. You need to find ways to retain your assets even in times of famine because right now while your clawing and scratching for customers and asking everyone to do more with less; you need to appreciate and compensate the people that make it happen for you every day if you are to make it even ten more years.