There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens

Your experience will depend on your Store Manager!

Former Employee - MGT  in  San Jose, CA
Former Employee - MGT in San Jose, CA

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I found that the starting pay of $17 for an MGT/Assistant Manager was very competitive in similar retail positions.

I had a better experience learning about the business at a lower volume store. I find that lower volume stores allow for the store manager to work with the assistant manager in terms of developing and coaching.

In terms of benefits, the only thing worth mentioning is the Profit Sharing Program. It used to be GREAT, but now it's only OK.

Cons

At most stores, the MGT is simply a glorified stockboy (or girl) with keys. MGTs and Shiftleaders (the lower paying position that has replaced the MGT) are expected to be the hardest working employees in the store and are almost always the scapegoat for any situation.

The job is also very physical. At least two days of the week are devoted to doing "warehouse". The process includes unloading inventory from a truck and totes (which can weigh up to 40lbs each) and stocking the shelves and organizing the items into your "bay".

As a member of store leadership, you would have no set schedule at all. Expect to work most weekends and holidays with various shifts. If you end up at a 24 Hour store, then good luck. Walgreens doesn't really care too much about work/life balance.

Invest more time in your management!

3483 Other Employee Reviews for Walgreens (View Most Recent)

Skip this Employer

Current Employee - Service Clerk  in  Middleton, WI
    Current Employee - Service Clerk in Middleton, WI

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good beniefits clean work Place

Cons

Bad Management
    don't care about you as a Employee
    Treat you like Dirt!!!

good company, but i've lost the ability to be a manager. now more of a glorified stock person.

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Good Company, established fortune 500, decent employee benefits, approachable store management and district management.

Cons

no room to grow. corporate changes will be eliminating our role, but there is no clear story as to what will happen to us when this happens. too much tasking, without the ability to be "above the task vs. part of it" makes mgmt become more like stock people than managing people.

ask the staff across the country for input on new initiaties, don't just stick with specific markets or chicago-area. some things may work in the midwest but won't in other parts of the country. for example, changing the dress code back to vests...we didn't really get a true voice in this decision.

There are newer employer reviews for Walgreens

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!