Walgreens
2.9 of 5 2,807 reviews
www.walgreens.com Deerfield, IL 5000+ Employees

Your experience will depend on your Store Manager!

MGT (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI found that the starting pay of $17 for an MGT/Assistant Manager was very competitive in similar retail positions.

I had a better experience learning about the business at a lower volume store. I find that lower volume stores allow for the store manager to work with the assistant manager in terms of developing and coaching.

In terms of benefits, the only thing worth mentioning is the Profit Sharing Program. It used to be GREAT, but now it's only OK.

ConsAt most stores, the MGT is simply a glorified stockboy (or girl) with keys. MGTs and Shiftleaders (the lower paying position that has replaced the MGT) are expected to be the hardest working employees in the store and are almost always the scapegoat for any situation.

The job is also very physical. At least two days of the week are devoted to doing "warehouse". The process includes unloading inventory from a truck and totes (which can weigh up to 40lbs each) and stocking the shelves and organizing the items into your "bay".

As a member of store leadership, you would have no set schedule at all. Expect to work most weekends and holidays with various shifts. If you end up at a 24 Hour store, then good luck. Walgreens doesn't really care too much about work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more time in your management!

Run! Run for the Hills!

Assistant Manager MGT (Current Employee)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Employee discount, Average Benefits, First pickings on clearance items. Cons: No social life due to absurd scheduling practices. Falling benefits and salaries. Inadequate staffing levels, poor quality of hires (but… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Skip this Employer

Service Clerk (Current Employee)
Middleton, WI

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Good beniefits clean work Place Cons: Bad Management don't care about you as a Employee Treat you… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Walgreens.

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Walgreens reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Walgreens CEO Greg Wasson. All reviews posted anonymously by Walgreens employees.